Auto window cleaner query

I recently came into possession of two auto window cleaners when I was cleaning out my late brother's vehicle. They are Rain-X and 20/20 autoglass cleaner-ammonia free for tinted windows.

Before I use either of these, I seem to remember some discussion on this group a few years ago about some of these cleaners resulting in fogging up the glass. Naturally, this is not something I would want to do.

We have a 2004 legacy wagon with tinted window all around, the side ones having been done when we bought the car, not original manufacture.

I have not been reading the group for a while, so don't know what the lates on these cleaners is. Any help woudl be appreciated. Of course, the easiest thing woudl be to deep-sis them, but I woudl like to know.

Wendy Baker

Reply to
W. Baker

I use Rain-X and I find it works very well (outside only). The window has be cleaned and dried thoroughly. You apply it twice and leave the window hazy for about 10-15 mins. Then, it takes a bit of elbow grease, but once you have buffed it clear, it does a beautiful job and lasts for a couple of months.

I have never had the 'fogging' you refer to except when I have applied it in the direct sun. It won't hard properly so it is difficult to remove the haze. However, if you let the glass cool, and buff it again, it'll be fine.

Hope it helps

Reply to
FNO

First, my condolences to you and your family in regards to your brother.

I'd test the products first on a small area, or perhaps a nonvital window like the side windows for the cargo area (wagon) or package shelf (sedan). If things get foggy, you can use a vinegar/water mix to cut through almost any film left on the window. In fact, I use the vinegar/water mix all the time, however it does make your car smell for a while. But since you already have them, no sense in wasting the products, you might as well use them.

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

The Rain-X (in the liquid form in the plastic bottle) or in the spray bottle is a real saver in Seattle. I use it all the time, including sun-roof (which is glass). I keep inside shield of the sun-roof always open, and it's nice to see sky (even gray) without rain drops obstructing a view. No fogging so far.

Reply to
LB

"W. Baker" wrote in news:cmlla6$2a1$ snipped-for-privacy@reader1.panix.com:

I believe the issue was using window cleaning solutions on headlights. The headlights are plastic not glass and the ammonia in the glass cleaners can cause the plastic to yellow/fog.

Reply to
Fuzzy Logic