automatic window

Hi folks - I'm driving a '96 Legacy wagon, my first Subaru and it's been a great car.

I don't know much about automotive service, but I prefer the idea of doing things myself, rather than pay someone, when it's a simple fix. (So far the only thing I've ventured to do myself is replace the headlight connectors, which melted. My local mechanic wanted $300 to do the job, but I went to a "Pick 'n' Pull" auto yard and found parts for $15, which I replaced with electical tape).

Anyway, my present problem is with the automatic window in the driver's door - the switch has become finicky and sometimes refuses to close the open window. I have a suspicion, that like my headlight problem, this could be a simple electrical fault that I may be able to repair myself. But I'm a little bit frightened of pulling apart the door to get a closer look. I don't want to wind up pulling the thing apart and not being able to get it back together again, either because it's too complicated, or because I broke something by pulling when I should have unfastened. Can anyone give me some guidance about dismantling and 'remantling' that door successfully? And/or any insight into my window problem?

Thanks so much. barnz1 ...to reply by email modify the address in the obvious way...

Reply to
barnz1

Edward Hayes

(snip)

I recently went into the driver's door on my '96 Legacy Outback and on that car the window switch assembly is mounted with screws to the door panel. An excutcheon is screwed to the panel from the backside of the door panel. After that is removed, the screws that hold the power window switch in place come out from the frontside of the door panel. The switch has an single electrical connector that has a press-to-release tabe on it.

The door panel comes off relatively easily. There are pop-off covers over screws at the door-open lever and under the arm rest. There is a pop-off cover over a retainer high on the front edge of the door panel. The door panel hangs over the top edge of the door and has pop-out retainers around the sides and bottom of the panel. Using some sort of flat metal about an inch or so wide (putty knife for example), gently work your way around the door panel, prying the door panel away from the door and the retainers will pop free.

Incidentally, my driver's window had started working in a jerky fashion and it turned out that the window regulartor mounting screws had gotten loose.

Hope this helps.

Ed P

Reply to
Ed P

The panel is actually easy to get on and off, slip a thin but strong blade between the bottom of the panel and the door (from below) and slide it around. You will bump into the clips that hold the panel on. Put a screwdriver on each side of a clip and pop it out. The clips are attached to the panel and go into a hole in the door. Now the rest will be easy. Remove the armrest and any other screws first. The switch can be replaced but I actually fix them. They are not meant to come apart but can be opened up and then the contacts can be cleaned and everything glued back together. TG

Reply to
TG

Thanks Ed & Edward for the advice - I'll go have a look in there and see what I can see!

Reply to
barnz1