Aux input on a '98 Legacy Outback

My trsty old '91 legacy finally went the way of all flesh, and, Subaru fanatic that I am, I managed to pick up a spry little '98 Legacy Outback Limited.

It's got most of the bells and whistles, which is cool, but the one feature I loved the most about my old '91 isn't present on the newer model: a line-input jack on the radio.

I was wondering if anyone had some wisdom as to how to install one on my own. From what I've managed to google, the hookup for the optional CD changer is the way to go, but nothign I've found was particularly long on details as to how to do this -- or even where exactly that hookup is. Even the Haynes manual I bought for it doesn't have anything even remorely resembling the details for the radio wiring.

(And while I'm on the subject, is the CD/radio/cassette deck supposed to have any illumination? I suspect mine fell victim to a former owner who wasn't comfortable with the location of the cupholders -- so any suggestions as to whether this is reparable damage, or, failing that, recommendations for a replacement unit)

Thanks.

Reply to
L. Ross Raszewski

I don't know anything about the CD changer port, but I bought a new Alpine unit for my '97 Outback and I have been really happy with it. Easy to install, and I also bought a cable that lets me use a line-in jack. I can also use the dock connector on my iPod to send the song info right to the deck.

Reply to
Thomas Hanno

Good to know. I think I'll replace the unit, since the CD player seems to be flakey and I can't really stand those watchface LCD-style displays. Any gotchas or helpful hints on installing a new system on this beast?

Reply to
L. Ross Raszewski

It was a really straightforward removal/installation, although it was getting dark and I lacked a stubby screwdriver so I just ripped my ashtray out of the dash. It's really just a couple of screws and that's all to get the old one out. I ordered from Crutchfield so I got the wiring harness I needed and very detailed instructions. Good luck.

Reply to
Thomas Hanno