AWD and tire blowout question

Does having AWD make a tire blowout at high speed any safer?

In 30 years of driving I have experienced my first tire blowout at high speed. It happened last month while driving in the left lane of a crowded California freeway, at around 70 mph. The vehicle was a FWD Chevy Corcsica. Tires were Bridgestones, almost new.

Just before it happened I stopped to refuel at a gas station and upon leaving I noticed a strange but barely audible click coming from the front wheel-well. I stopped to investigate but found nothing, so decided to proceed. The sound seemed to have gone away but within minutes after re-accelerating to highway speed my front left tire blew-out badly. It must have been a nail or something similar stuck in the tire and making a strange noise. Once it got logded deeper into the rubber it became silent (?).

The whole experience was scary but the car went straight and I never lost control of it. The last few moments before I came to a full stop were extremely unpleasant and dangerous as the partially separated tire somehow managed to get stuck perpendicularly on the tire rim. This caused the whole vehicle to start bouncing violently before it stopped. Apart from the destroyed tire rim and my shaken nerves there was no damage.

I was very lucky. First, not to have panicked, not to have slammed on the brakes etc., and second not to have someone accidentally hit me from behind.

M.J.

Reply to
M.J.

I'm no expert but I suspect other factors than drivetrain arrangement would be more likely to exhibit a difference. Front vs rear tire, road and weather conditions, driver alertness, and speed. In fact, years ago i think I read a study that suggested about 50mph was the worst speed at which to suffer a blow-out. Slower, and the driver's reaction time is quicker than the time to run off the road. Due to the car's momentum, faster speeds also allow the driver time to alert themselves and concentrate on steering.

interesting question

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I think it could have been a nail, and the centrifical force at the speed, threw it out, and the tire went down fast.

Don't know how much difference where the drive wheels are makes, and I have heard that a flat or blowout in the rear is worse, but to me it seems the front would be.

VF

Reply to
houndman

And of course, having a Corsica certainly didn't help! ;-) Glad you were ok.

Dan D '99 Impreza RS2.5 (son's) Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

Indeed, going 70 I had a moment or two to notice that something is not right, while the cars direction, and demeanor was almost completely unaffected yet.

M.J.

Reply to
M.J.