AWD in action - riding on the frozen lake

It was -6F that morning in northern Wisconsin on the trip to ski (last year obviously :-) resort:

Cheers, A.

Reply to
Andy Leszczynski

?
Reply to
Andy Leszczynski

AWD in action? That Outback was spinning all over the place - looked like it was driving like an old RWD car.

I saw a mixed class ice race on the St. Lawrence seaway a few years ago. Somebody was running an old Impreza sedan. Now _THAT_ was a clear demostration of AWD - it clearly slid out less on the corners and was able to accellerate way faster than other cars with double the horsepower.

Apparently AWD don't stop any better, tho:

Dominic Richens

First - it was real ice - e.g. Honda Accord barely moved on it. So it was quite impressive what Subaru on the ice can do.

Second - all season tires.

Third - this was MT Outback fully loaded with gear for a ski trip. It is heavier then Impreza too. My wife's AT Impreza behaves totally different, e.g. you can spin around the center of weight on the snow. However i would say that RWD effect is even more pronounced, especially when you are in the turn and want to accelerated on the snow.

There is definte difference betwen Subaru AWD MT and AT.

Cheers, Andy

Reply to
Andy Leszczynski

Not all ATs run a different system than the MTs. My understanding was that the AT and MT versions of the Legacy GT (with the rear LSD) was that they both ran VCC unlike the older models where you could make it FWD and whatnot because it was an electronic clutchpack.

Am I wrong?

Reply to
Mike Lloyd

nope. i'm wrong. stop the flame now.