AWD maintenance

I have a 2001 Outback, and an 06 Forester. My last car was a 97 Outback that was replaced by the Forester. At 126k the 97 started "bucking" in a tight turn. The dealer told me that the transfer case had locked up; they wanted to charge me $1,500 to make the repair. The also told me that I should have had the "all wheel drive" service performed. Well, I checked the owner's manual, and the shop manual; there was no mention of an "all wheel drive service". So what gives? Is there a periodic AWD service? Also, my 01 Outback has a transmission filter, but there is no mention in the manual about service and / or replacement.

After being introduced to Subaru by a friend in 1996, I am one happy puppy. My dearly departed 97 ran for 126k, and the only problem was a defective alternator that Subaru replaced "no charge" well after the warranty had expired. My wife's 01 has had zero problems. I once had a Pontiac company car that had two engines and four transmissions replaced before the clock hit 60k. My classic MGA twin cam isn't even that bad, considering the Prince of Darkness electrics by Lucas.

Reply to
Hightide

You forgot to mention the most important detail. What transmission? The manual transmissions have a viscous coupled center differential. Maintenance would be changing the transmission fluid.

The auto trannies mostly use a transfer case with an electronically controlled clutch. I don't know if there's any particular maintenance you can really do for it other than tire rotations to keep the tires at the same circumference; the clutch can supposedly wear out early if the system senses a difference in wheel speeds all the time. The fluid in the front diff could be serviced though.

Reply to
y_p_w

fluid changes in diffs couldnt hurt

Reply to
bigjim

If a difference in wheel speed due to tire sizes or other reason causes a problem then the car should be called a 4WD not an AWD.

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

If the systems 'interprets' slippage under conditions where no slippage can occur. It will 'switch' to (essentially) 4WD but be subjected to stress (torque bind) which COULD lead to failure of one or more driveline parts. The trick is to prevent conditions which 'trick' the system into engaging when it shouldn't. Running odd sized tires on dry/normal/hard road surfaces - particulary at high speeds for great distances - will likely stress the system. It MAY be possible to - say - put on one new tire with 3 older ones and run lower air pressure to compensate. But there would be safety issues with that I suppose.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I was always under the assumption that 4WD implied a 50/50 power split. Subaru AWD (automatics) have supposedly been anywhere from 90/10 to 60/40.

Reply to
y_p_w

I have experience with 4WD but none with AWD. My personal criterion for 4WD is that the front and rear are hard-coupled, whether the front and rear differentials are locked or not. 4WD is the way to go in rough, demanding terrain but is a terror on slippery streets, since at least one wheel must give up traction to allow the vehicle to turn. In town I drive my 4WD work truck in 2WD even when the roads are icy because it gets squirrelly in 4WD (as I learned the hard way!) If the road gets really slippery and I have to get up a hill I'll change to 4WD, but chaining up is the proper way to go at that point..

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

well im not sure its official anywhere but usually the difference betweel full time 4wd and AWD is that AWD can handle different tires turning at different revolutions which happens during turning. 4WD does not account for/handle this.

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

The California Dept of Transportation seems to call any four- wheeled vehicle where are four wheels are driven "four wheel drive" for exceptions to chain requirements.

Certainly there's 4wd drive where the differentials can be locked in tough driving situations. However - most of these vehicles are driven in situations where there's power to all four wheels on pavement.

y_p_w

here's one explanation;

Carl

1 Lucky Texan