B4 Auto Transmission AT & Engine Braking

While I was scooting along the windy mountain way and downshifted to get set up for an approaching bend I wondered whether the auto (AT) transmission in the B4 could really handle this kind of treatment, or whether the 'manual' mode was just a marketing gimmick?

The transmission normally will not allow up shift if speed is too low or downshift if the speed is too high, as implied by the indicators on the instrument panel.

Can the AT really be driven in similar vain as one would drive a manual?

Reply to
ericlund

IMO I would kick the tranny down a notch to help you out, but don't let the engine do all the braking. Brakes are a lot cheaper than tranny's. I tend to keep mine on 3 when driving around town, and only drop it lower when I'm climbing hills and the tranny can't make up it's mind what gear it wants to be in. I also drop it to 3 when I'm going down steep hills and the car starts running away from me. (97 Outback)

In a manual shift car you want to downshift to be in the right gear "before" you accelerate out of a corner, and you're matching the revs at the same time so all this is done smoothly. An automatic does that when you step on the gas after completing the turn. Professional race drivers are shifting coming into the turn, but they are using their brakes to slow down, not the engine. And yes, Porsches and other high performance vehicles come with clutchless transmissions, like the Tiptronic, but that's a completely different animal.

Reply to
Sheldon

I sometimes have it in 2 when driving in slow city traffic, partly because it keeps the engine revs higher and thus the turbo is spooled up and ready to boost.

Similarly the down shift before a bend also increases engine and turbo speed, and this allows you to adjust steering with the accelerator. So it's not just about coming out of the curve, fine tuning with the accelerator isn't possible if wallowing into a bend in 4th under brakes.

Your comments regarding matching the engine speed for smoother downshifts and using brakes to slow the vehicle are appreciated. I wonder if that can be achieved in practice with an automatic?

I th>

Reply to
ericxxxx

If you're steering with the gas, why on earth did you get an automatic? That's pretty advanced driving. :-)

Reply to
Sheldon