Bad Battery or not??

Hello All, I have a 2000 OBW. It seems to have a problem with the battery not charging SOMETIMES. Just started this week. After work Monday had to get a boost. Then fine Tuesday/Wed. Then Thursday morning AND after work had to get a boost. Car runs fine once it is started. I took the battery to Canadian Tire and they put it on the test and it passed that test.

Unfortunately, I live in Windsor, Ontario and the closest dealer is

1.5 hours away.

Can it still be the battery or could it be something else? As I said, once it's started, it runs fine and it has no problems starting when I'm getting a boost.

Thanks, Jim

Reply to
Jim

Have you checked the alternator? If it isn't holding a charge, you could be running the car off the battery, instead of the alternator.

dukephoto

Reply to
MDCORE

find someone to load test the system, this will check the batt, alternator, starter,etc all on the car. Could be a belt slipping, damper comeing loose, etc. TG

Reply to
TG

If you've never changed the battery in your 2000 OBW, you're overdue.

And I'm guessing that you're just seeing this now that it's getting colder makes it even more likely to indicate a battery. When cells are colder, they can't source the same number of amps to turn your car over as they could when it's warmer out. Likewise, an old, depleted battery that's worn out can't source the necessary amperage to get ya going as wella s a new battery with fresh plates in it--even if "fully" charged.

That it starts fine with a boost indicates that your starter isn't an issue. It's really down to the battery or the charging system, and if you're on your original battery, I'd put big money on the battery being the culprit.

Best Regards,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Thanks Todd, Just wondering can the battery be gone even it it was tested and passed?

Thanks, Jim

Todd H. wrote:

Reply to
JC

Don't need no stink'n dealer to make determination of your problem.

What is battery voltage when engine is running? Should be close to

14.25. As you add a load, what happens to voltage? Need to be running faster than idle when adding load.

How is the qlty of the various connections? Battery terminals clean and tight, battery connection all the way to the starter.

What is voltage at the battery and starter when trying to start? Shouldn't be much less than 10V at the starter and maybe a volt higher at the battery.

Knowledge is much better tool than parts swapping in making repairs.

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey

It depends on how it was tested. A battery can look fine an ducky at

12V with a multimeter with no load on it, but put it under a load of a starter, if it collapses to a tiny fraction of that, then the battery needs replacement.

If your battery is over 3 years old and you have starting problems, I'd always spend $60 to replace the battery, because time wise, it's due to die soon anyway, and I'd rather not find out on a 0 degree day in a snowstorm in a deserted parking lot. :-)

Best Regards,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Bet ya a virtual dollar that we don't hear back from ya on this issue. :-)

-- Todd H.

Todd H.