bad brake calipers

Just took my 97 Legacy to have its brakes inspected. I've been experiencing noises and vibration in my brakes.I was told that my front disc brake pads are wearing unevenly (one side pad is worn more than the other) and that the reason is because the calipers are bad and need replacing. He recommends replacing both front brake calipers and pads for about $350. Is this the correct diagnosis and is the price ballpark?

Thanks, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Maeda

If "he" is a dealership, it sounds like an excellent price. If "he" is an independent shop, it's an ok price.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Are you sure you need to replace the entire caliper ? I once had a car that wore brake pads unevenly, and the service department overhauled the calipers with new piston seals and dust boots.

I'd get a 2nd opinion.

Reply to
Losiho

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably replace both calipers.

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Maeda

If one of the pistons is seized then you will likely need to replace the caliper. You can rebuild them but this usually only makes sense if you do it yourself because the cost of labor involved usually works out to about the price of a new unit.

Reply to
Chris Phillipo