Bad Synchros in 2002 WRX - about to 'confront' the dealer

Hey, all.

I have an occasional problem with my 02 WRX's synchros. Didn't happen for the first couple of years. Symptoms are:

Slowing down, going from second into first - and also moving from Reverse into 1st after stopping - there is no resistance on the shifter, and the gears are not synched. Result - *WHAM* of the gears.

I've done enough digging to establish that this is not unprecedented, and that other people have had this problem.

I have an appointment with the dealer, to discuss the issue. What I don't want to see happen is:

1 - dealer refuses to accomodate because the symptom cannot be replicated at will; 2 - dealer accuses me of abuse.

I had an initial chat with them today, and the fellow seemed accomodating enough.

Couple of questions:

-I gather that this problem is lessened with the 03s and newer, because they used different components in the tranny. If I could *establish* this somehow, I could perhaps get the dealer to swap out the tranny.

-Are there any other good resources aside from this group and NASIOC forums, for me to establish a 'case' about this? The more people's descriptions of the same exact issue I can dig up and have with me on hand, the better chance I think I stand of the dealer cooperating.

Thanks!!!

BD

Reply to
BD

You might conatc Brian at

one time he had another site dealing with problems/warranty claims that got shut down by Subaru I beleive. There are also a lot of links there if you want to post at more enthusiast sites. Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Carl 1 Lucky Tex

Thanks - just sent him a note!

Reply to
BD

In cases where they open the transmission and find damage to gears such as stripped teeth, it's now SOA policy to deny warranty repair due to abuse. However synchros are a different story, they will likely cover it under the powertrain warranty as long as you are within the

5yr/60K period. The less modified the car, the better your chances of not having any problem getting it covered. Also note that some difficulties with first gear are considered normal for these transmissions, they do not like to go into first while moving especially once they get some miles on them. If you have not done a gear oil change in a long time doing so may help. From 02-05 the synchros in the WRX trans have not changed, supposedly in 03 the gears were changed to the RA width but this has no effect on the synchros. Don't expect a new or "updated" transmission, the best you will probably get is an overhaul of the existing one with any worn parts being replaced.
Reply to
mulder

Problem's partly that, and partly that sometimes it goes right into first without the gear speeds synching up first

As it happens, this next service point will include that.

Good to know - thanks...

Reply to
BD

Slam on the go pedal before downshifting as you disengage the clutch to lessen the reliance on synchros.

Reply to
Body Roll