Bad tank of gas cost me 850 bucks!!!!!

Hi gang, So I thought my gas tank sending unit was bad and covered by the warranty. When the dealer opens it up he says there is this brown gunk all over everything and everything has to be replaced to the tune of

1200 bucks!!!!!! He says I probally got a bad tank of gas which caused all the damage. Sounds like a crock of shit to me! Any way it turns out the Subaru Forester Turbo does not have a drain plug, or so they tell me. How the hell do you drain the tank? Suck it out with a straw? He tells me there are two sending units for the gas gauge which are gummed up. He also wants to clean the injectors which I said no way. The Subie runs FINE. The filter are doing their job. So to clean the tank, they have to drop the rear sub frame, drive shafts and associated hardware to clean the tank and clean the sending units. So when the smoke cleared It's gonna cost me $850. shit.

Mitch, still smoking in South florida.........what ?üçkn hurricane....

Reply to
Mitch louis

I'm not aware of *any* car that has a drain plug for the gas tank. I know first-hand that the 3 Fords that I owned didn't. Don't ask how I know....

Did you actually get to look inside the tank?

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Jim has a good point. How does the dealer know the tank's inside condition? Anyways, there has to be an inspection plate inside the car that allows access to the top of the tank and eventually the fuel pump. Fuel pumps always fail and a fuel pump replacement does not require dropping the tank. Going this way, through the top of the tank, means you can replace any and all tank filters. Easy way to "drain" the tank I would think would be to disconnect the fuel line at the filter and just allow the fuel pump to do its job. I can't believe the inside of your tank is all that bad. Pump out the "bad" gas and change the fuel filter a couple of times and you should have no problem. As for cleaning the injectors, what's the reason for the fuel filter? Practically nothing can get by it.

Reply to
johninKY

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Yup and the dealer emailed me the pic's. I got a sample of the shit and I am bringing it to a Oil/fuel analysis lab to see what it is. After the fuel dried it is a fine brown/beige powder...... mitch

Reply to
Mitch louis

Hi, I looked at it my self and he emailed me some pic's also. if anybody is interested I can email them to you. I got a sample and i'm going to get it analysed today. mitch

Reply to
Mitch louis

Edward Hayes wrote: I'd tell them to

Yup, that's what he is doing. He is going to drop the tank to clean out the crap and then replace the tank. Problem is that you have to drop the ass end of the forrester to get the tank out. Lots of hours at $85 a pop. ahggggggrrrrrrrr. I would take it to my local wrench but it is a ne w vehicle with 3k on the clock.......

mitch

He looked and took pictures

As for cleaning the injectors,what's the reason for the fuel filter? Practically nothing can get

thats what I told him. The car runs fine! I took a trip this weekend,

500 miles round trip, avg 75 mph and got 22mpg on the highway. He's cleaning the tank and replacing the sending unit. I think all the other shit was to pad the bill or "be through" mitch
Reply to
Mitch louis

My gut says he was being thorough. It's a brand new car, and you're spending a grand getting the tank cleaned due to fuel contamination. You're doing this to protect the rest of the engine from ingesting crap. Chances are if he stopped at the tank and fuel filter, and something DID go wrong later with the injectors, you'd be pretty upset that he didn't.

Reply to
Cam Penner

I had a dentist that successfully sued a gas station owner for damage caused by a bad tank of gas.

Reply to
Frank Logullo

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Well got the little puppy back from the big bad old dealer. $625 bucks. One sending unit covered by warranty and one not. Mechanic cleaned the filters on both units and cleaned out the tank also. buttoned up the whole thing. Since I don't know which gas station did the dastardly deed I can't point a finger. The car ran fine through the whole deal, just the gas gauge was messed up. I took a sample of the contaminant to a FAA approved fuel/oil testing lab and I will see what it was in the tank. Inquireing minds want to know.......

mitch

Reply to
Mitch louis

Keep us posted Mitch.

Ron

Reply to
Freedom55

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Maybe a blurb in the Classifieds or a local 'shopper's news' would turn up more victims - easier to pinpoint the station and maybe more likely to have them step up and take care of your expenses.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I might add, story was in the paper and I discussed with my dentist. It was his daughter's car and they took case to small claims court (magistrate) when service station owner refused to pay damages. They won case but station owner demanded jury trial which dentist also won without using his lawyer. Dentist's lawyer told him that he could imagine how service station's lawyer felt being beaten in court by a dentist ;) Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

Hummmmmm Sonoco in Clearwater, fla.

mitch

Reply to
Mitch louis

Hummmmmm Sonoco in Clearwater, fla.

mitch

Reply to
Mitch louis

These are sure to be other people affected.

In our area e had bad gas from a supplier last year. As a result of many complaints they paid up. The damages to many cars was significant. I don't remember the details.

Reply to
Spam Hater

I just though, maybe ask around at some of the auto service shops and dealers too. maybe they've had folks come in with this problem.

good luck

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan