Bad Windshields

Yup, Subaru windshields are junk!!!

I didn't believe it until I saw the crack on my Impreza's windshield; hit by what must have been the tinniest of rocks.

I've heard so many people complain about Subaru windshields but always thought the problem was a result of off-road activity or, in case of the Forester, the windshield's steep angle. Well, I don't believe that any more.

There is definetely something wrong with the glass!

The Impreza has 9k miles, and has been driven on the same exact roads as my Corsica has been for

100k miles. The Corsica's windshield taking many, many, more, and stronger hits, all uneventfully.

s.z.

Reply to
UserEddie214

It's not just Subarus. If you look at the alt.autos.toyota.camry, you'll find similar complaints. I suspect it's everywhere today.

Reply to
Alan

Reply to
null

The windshield in my '02 WRX didn't survive 3 months on the Colorado "rocky" mountain highways :-P The aftermarket one that replaced it has a myriad of pits and dings, but no cracks. I don't know if it's the glass, or the 0-deductable auto glass insurance I got after forking out $$$ for the new windshield that is responsible for this, but so it goes . . .

ByeBye! S.

There's a thread on NASIOC about this, which I haven't added to, but I do have the exact same crack.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Mason

My OBW 2002 was about 3 weeks old, with about 200 miles on it when the = nice heated windshield totally went to hell when it was hit by a small = pebble. Piece o'shit -- that's what they are. The Subaru dealer I bought = it from told me that this was just a "fluke" occurrence. Well = maybe.....but I've been driving for more years than the salesman has = been alive, and I NEVER had a windshield go so badly so fast from a = pebble nick. Overnight it developed into a HUGE crack -- in August, so = it wasn't cold.=20

The replacement which I did not buy from Subaru, has held up for over a = year now.

June

Yup, Subaru windshields are junk!!! =20

I didn't believe it until I saw the crack on my Impreza's=20 windshield; hit by what must have been the tinniest of=20 rocks. =20

I've heard so many people complain about Subaru windshields=20 but always thought the problem was a result of off-road activity=20 or, in case of the Forester, the windshield's steep angle.=20 Well, I don't believe that any more.=20

There is definetely something wrong with the glass! =20

The Impreza has 9k miles, and has been driven on=20 the same exact roads as my Corsica has been for=20

100k miles. The Corsica's windshield taking many,=20 many, more, and stronger hits, all uneventfully.

s.z.

Reply to
Diva

Andy:

I had the windshield repaired within 20 hours. Before the small crack had a chance to spread. My insurance waived the 100$ deductible I had on the "glass coverage." I bought glass coverage after having read internet stories about weak windshields. Lucky me, I guess!

Although the insurance covered the expense- it happened as a result of an accident (a stone hitting the windshield) honestly I believe this is a defective product issue not an insurance case.

I am not a lawyer but I know the law recognizes something like "implied warranty of merchantability" or "implied warranty of fitness for a particular purpose." Sure the thing cracked because of a stone hitting it, not spontaneously, but the windshield should have been designed to withstand such small impacts as these are rather normal occurences.

Anyway, its a good idea to buy separate glass coverage, its not expensive!

s.z.

Reply to
UserEddie214