Baja

Please will somebody tell me why Subaru has decide that the Baja is not worthy of advertising. I feel they are wastingan excellent oportunity to sell a good vehicle to a niche market. Maybe I am bias because I own one. However, all the recent national advertising they are doing doesn't have the Baja listed. Maybe a Subaru rep is reading this and can tell me why.

Bob

Reply to
Kar Klean

It's so ugly they can only advertise it between 10 PM and 5 AM in the USA.

Barry

Reply to
Bonehenge

The Baja is okay but it is an "orphan" type vehicle. It doesnt really provide anything that other vehicles in the line have . Four seats? Outback seats five. Lockable bed cover? Cap? Outback comes with standard secure cargo area. Plus the fact that at first the Baja was too pricey killed the momentum. Let's see- I want to appeal to the active young person but I'll only sell the vehicle with leather, sunroof and such at a sticker of $26k. College kids will jump on that!!!! I like the Baja. Had a deposit on one in Jan. However I got an OBW for less than $1k more which covered the cost of secure bed storage. And I dont give a **** about a sunroof.

Reply to
busterb

Didn't they discontinue that thing yet? Since it't not selling they probably don't want to throw good money after bad.

Reply to
Chris Phillipo

Dude, I'm with you. For the life of me, I can't figure out why they abandoned it so quickly. It seems to me almost from day one. I think I've only seen one print ad -- ever and I don't think I've seen the Baja in a TV spot in more than 6 months.

I own a 2003 Baja and I love it. I have to admit, it's an acquired taste but I think if they held out a little longer and actually promoted it, it would find it's market, especially since the "crew cab" pickup seems to be here to stay.

I agree with jabario(?). They totally overpriced it for who they claimed to be targeting and the lockable bed cover really should have been included or at least an option (it wasn't yet when I bought mine). You have to admit though, they really went to town with the list of standard features they stuck into it . . . even the Sport model was a great package. It was essentially the regular Baja without the leather.

I was talking to the General Manager at my dealership and he says the Baja is likely to go through the '06-'07 model year I think.

To anybody who's listening, when they discontinue the Baja and the prices drop (even further) you should at least consider it. Mine has been an awesome performer and nothing else on the road looks like it -- and I like that. :o)

Reply to
phillystyle

Because it wasn't selling well! As a former BRAT owner, I feel the BAJA is pretty damn ugly and the bed is much smaller than the BRATs was (although the BRAT was only a 2 seater).

It seems to me almost from day one. I think

Reply to
Rob Munach

It's not selling because most people don't know it exist. I have a

2003 model I bought in December 2002. I have seen exactly 1 tv ad which is what sent me to the dealership to see this car. I test drove it and bought it. I get asked everytime I go Walmart or the mall by at least 2 people "what kind of car is that?" Aside from one comment from a coworker everyone has loved the truck. The only thing really wrong with the truck is the 2 person back seat. The rear center console was/is just plain dumb. The baja is all the truck most city dwellers need and it costs far less than an average suv. As for all the talk of lockable storage .... IT'S A PICKUP TRUCK! not a car and not an suv if it had a lockable storage lid it would cease to function as a pickup. If you want lockable storage buy an outback.
Reply to
nicklebon

The lockable storage and 2 back seats are the reasons why the Baja Wont sell. I actually had a deposit on one and loved it. Then I found out about the cost of secure storage and found the outback to be a better deal

Reply to
busterb

No, it's a CAR with an open back.

FWIW, our local Subaru dealers have had Bajas parked out front since the day they came out. I live in an area where Subaru is a popular brand. People know what it is. NO ONE WANTS THE BAJA!

It may be the ugliest vehicle since the Guinea Pig, I mean Pontiac Aztec.

I have an '01 OBW, it's a car. Your Baja is my CAR with the roof cut away. It ain't no truck.

Barry

Reply to
Bonehenge

Agreed. The bed is too short to be of any practical use and the BRAT was amuch better lokking vehicle. For less money, you can buy a 4x4 Nissan Frontier, 4 door with a 6 foot bed. I paid about 20k for mine and I get

19.5 mpg overall.
Reply to
Rob Munach

Let's go even further.

A pickup truck has a ladder frame with a removable box. The pickup box can be replaced if damaged, or swapped for a small dump, utility body, etc... Changing the pickup box on a Baja would be an episode of Monster Garage.

The truck also has a solid rear axle for load carrying ability and 4wd off road performance. Independent rear suspension squats under load, and often changes camber based on load, but handles better on pavement.

If the truck is 4wd, it'll also have a low range in the transfer case, for serious off road use.

The Baja is the same vehicle as my Outback, minus some roof. The simple fact that it's a car was my reason for purchase.

Barry

Reply to
Bonehenge

Traded my 2002 Outback for a 2005 Turbo Baja. Love the Baja.

Reply to
lightbulb05

Uncle Sam and every insurance company begs to differ.

Reply to
nicklebon

I take it you've never seen a 2wd truck before eh? For clarification we aren't discussing an ideal truck. We are discussing the simple fact the Baja is a light duty truck by function. The rear bed is not lockable any more so than a Tacoma or Colorado. Is it a perfect truck? Hardly! It is enough truck for most city dwelling people. Off roading or rural use .... nah get a REAL truck. BTW real trucks don't burn gasoline. They burn diesel and that is not up for debate.

About its being ugly .... hmm lets see we have on the road today:

Aztec Element Matrix Scion ( all of em) Pt Cruiser oh yea lest I forget ... Hummer (Not saying I would not have one, but it is still ugly)

Each of these is a helluva lot uglier than my banana yellow Baja so bugger off! :)

Reply to
nicklebon

2wd pickup trucks also have solid rear axles, removable bodies, and ladder frames.

Then what was my gasoline powered 27,000 pound GMC that had a 24 foot box and lift gate?

Barry

Reply to
Bonehenge

You actually pay truck rates to insure a Baja?

Barry

Reply to
Bonehenge