Battery from dealership?

Hi all:

Just had my car in to the Subaru dealership and it was recommended that I needed a new battery. I can't quite remember the price (I was dealing with another issue at the time that was more worrying - see thread below...). I decided to hold off on the battery. So...

  1. Should I have just let them put one in (my wife's opinion.. I think it would have been about 0.00 Canadian...)?
  2. Is there any good reason to want a "Subaru" branded and installed battery?
  3. Assuming I *can* actually change the battery myself.. what should I buy? Recommendations? Installation advice?

Thanks!!

Reply to
Fred Boer

I've never worried about battery brand and never had one that didn't last about as long as the warranty period. Most brands have several different "grades" with corisponding prices, warranties, and CCAs (Cold Cranking Amps). I usually try to stay away from the very bottom of the range but otherwise I'm not picky and havn't been disapointed. You'll want one that's "maintence free" which most are these days. Any store that carries batteries will have a book/computer that can tell you which ones will work with your car but it's a good idea to measure your existing one to make sure it'll fit (sometimes the books/computer are wrong). Installation is easy, the hardest part is probably re-setting your clock and radio stations when you're done.

Reply to
Ray

NO, buy whatever brand you wish. I perfer "Interstate"

Reply to
StephenW

We made the stupid decision to replace the factory battery in the 99 OBW with one of the Advance Auto batteries back in October, and that thing died two months later. We took it back and got a full refund; in its place we installed an Interstate (should be available in Canada) battery and ran a test on the alternator to make sure it was ok (it was, hence why we were able to get full refund) and fully charged up the new battery before installation. All that cost $146 at our trusted independent mechanic. No need to buy from the dealer.

Reply to
KLS

here:

Drive over to Sears, buy the correct battery for your car, replace in the parking lot, then bring the old one back in for them to recycle.

Dan D '99 Impreza 2.5 RS (son's) Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

Reply to
Fred Boer

Just one additional suggestion. Take a good look at your battery size and which terminal is where before you buy, so you can verify the correct battery is being suggested. I have run into incorrect specs in battery application books before and it's always easier to get the right battery the first time.

Reply to
turkey

A couple of years ago, a shop told me my battery "failed a load test." I did my own load test by timing the battery voltage with the headlights on and it seemed to hold as well as my gf's car, so I took a chance and waited. My car lasted through the winter no problem. Morning temps can get as low as -20celcius here. My car has seen colder, but not that winter. So maybe the mild winter helped.

In the summer, I was doing some other stuff anyway, so I bought a battery. I bought the right "style" that had lots of CCA. Cold Cranking Amps will do you more service than capacity. How often do you run your battery down to empty, vs asking your battery to start a cold car?

Anyway, even though I had the right "style", the terminals were not centered along the top of the battery like the OEM battery, so I had to stretch the cables by an inch or so. Talk about tight! I got it to reach, but only after removing one of the cable holding brackets. Maybe the extra pressure will ensure a better electrical connection! Not a difficult job other than the reach issue.

Also, I measured the charging current on each battery before and after the change. I can't remember the numbers, but I remember noticing that my alternator was working harder on the old battery. The internal resistance of a battery increases with age, and that acts like extra load on the alternator. So don't be afraid to wait a little, but don't wait too long or you'll be replacing the alternator too!!

Good luck.

2003 OBS
Reply to
Chicobiker

Thanks for the suggestions! I *do* intend to replace the battery - and fix the broken windshield - and fix the burned out bulb on the dashboard that prevents me from seeing the time... All I need is just 3 straight months of cost-free driving. I've promised myself that if I don't have to pay for any repairs for 3 months, then those repairs will be done.

Cheers!

Reply to
Fred Boer

Two issues I would mention:

-Batteries usually come in several grades from very very powerful to only moderately powerful. Here in Minnesota it can get very cold in the winter, and sometimes the extra oomph from the very very powerful version is necessary, when the cold saps the power of the battery.

-Another issue is how long will you keep the car? One year? Get a cheap battery. Ten years? Get the most powerful battery.

Reply to
P T