belt retention question

Hi All,

After you get your rubber band (time belt) changed, do you need to get your fan belts retentions after a certain amount of time. (I think I hear one slipping.)

Many thanks,

-T

Reply to
Todd

Most people would probably need 2 accessory belt changes for every Timing B elt change, maybe more, so, yeah, every 30K to maybe 60K miles, or 5 years or so. Look for glazing or cracks. If everything was fine, and you recently had the TB changed, you may just need the tension adjusted on an accessory belt.

Noises can also be pulley bearings going bad or air in the power steering s ystem.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

Hi 1,

Thank you!

The noise sound like a scratching noise. Kind of like something scraping the ground. I hear it when I am going under 20 mph and I accelerate a slight bit. Goes away when I even out. Some times I hear it when going slow and making a turn. It is not very loud. A bit hard to hear. At first I thought it was my fishing pole rubbing the back window.

-T

Reply to
Todd

My Subaru made a peculiar scratching noise too. This was caused by the timing belt delaminating and scraping the cover. It's quite a distinctive noise. Once you hear it and have your belt break, you'll never forget it.

Reply to
dsi1

Uh Oh. It there a way to check it?

Reply to
Todd

I would be able to diagnose it by sound. It's quite distinctive. In your case, I'd get a long stick and place one end on the cam cover and the other in your ear. If it's coming from the cover, you're living on borrowed time.

Reply to
dsi1

Actually, that would be the front cover for the cam pulleys that you'd listen to.

Reply to
dsi1

ng Belt change, maybe more, so, yeah, every 30K to maybe 60K miles, or 5 ye ars or so. Look for glazing or cracks. If everything was fine, and you rece ntly had the TB changed, you may just need the tension adjusted on an acces sory belt.

Most people would hear a squealing sound if an accessory belt were slipping . but, I have seen an accessory belt that was the wrong size scrape against part of the tensioner device.

If you had a shop just change the timing belt and the sound is new after th at work - take the car back and have them check it out.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

Hi All,

I noticed a huge scratching noise when I turned on the air conditioner, so I took it by the mechanic yesterday. He said the A.C. belt was too loose and tightened it. So far so good.

He also said that since I had my timing rubber band was changed in the dead of winter (all other belts too), that they would stretch a little and the heat would make them expand a little too.

Hay! No fair. An adjustment for the belts. No getting another guy to pull like h*** while you tighten away! I do love Subi's.

Thanks to everyone for their tips and moral support.

-T

Reply to
Todd