best oil filter wrench for wrx?

What is the best oil filter wrench for wrx?

The common metal band wrench doesn't work very well because the oil filter is surrounded by other stuff. What looks like may work well are something that graps the filter and allow a socket wrench to be attached below the filter where there is more room to turn.

Do the cap wrench work? The concept looks good, but the cap is made of plastic and looks like the area that makes contact with socket wrench would round off under stress. Actually, I haven't found a cap that is the right size, but I haven't been looking very hard either.

I also saw a strap type wrench. Looks like it may also work. Any experience with it? Here are some photos (multiple links in case some go dead):

Then there are the claw type wrenches. I'm concern these wrenches may puncture the filter or tear it apart. If the filter is damaged but not removable with this tool, the damaged filter would be even harder to remove.
What do professional wrx mechanics use?

Reply to
peter

I looked a long, long time. It's 68mm with 14 flutes. All I could find was 65mm or 67mm. I've got cap wrenches for pretty much every filter I've used on a regular basis, but the turbo filter is just an absolutely oddball size.

I ended up getting a Lisle "Small Swivel Grip" band wrench designed for 60-66mm filters. It's not ideal, but at least I'm able to get the filter off. It has a band that's about half the height of their regular band wrenches. It is tight in there, and I did put a scratch on the oil pan.

Reply to
y_p_w

I've never had a problem with a cap wrench rounding off. A properly installed oil filter should only be "hand-tight plus a half-turn" anyway.

Reply to
Ragnar

I picked up a wrench with rubber strap at Checker for about $8 I think it was. Looks like a regular oil filter wrench, except it has an adjustable rubber strap that I have yet to find an application where I can not use it.

Reply to
Henry Paul

why do you need one?

the only time i had trouble getting mine off was when the gorillas at the dealership changed my oil.. the first and last time they ever did (complimentary 1k mile change). that time i just hammered a big screwdriver through the filter and torqued it off that way. a bit messy, but a small hole in the bottom center avoided most of the mess by letting it drain first.

now, since i've done my own ever since, i never have that issue. a good grip with both hands is all i've ever needed.

i think it's a waste of money if you're just working on your own cars.

jm2c ken

Reply to
Ken Gilbert

SNIP

I gotta agree with Ken. There is a hand-tightness which is achievable with a little practice that allows the rubber gasket to "weld" itself just tight enough to prevent leaks, but not so tight as to require the use of a wrench to remove. -Danny

Reply to
Danny Russell