Best way to clean lens covers on headlights?

The lens covers of the headlight housings on my 93 Subaru Legacy have started getting dirty so I looking for a good way to clean them and make them clear again. I managed to get the lens covers seperated from the rest of the housing but I got no luck scrubbing them with a sponge and soap water. I really dont wanna buy new housings so if anyone has any ideas on cleaning the lens covers please share. Thanks.

Reply to
DragonStar912

novus plastic polish does a pretty good job of it.

It they are really bad wetsand with a very fine grit paper - 1500 or higher.

Reply to
Rat

I have used Meguiars products on my cars for years. The results are fantastic. Their products are sold at major retailers, like Wal*Mart etc, and auto parts stores like Pep Boys, AutoZone, etc. If they don't have it in stock, you can order online direct from Meguiars.

This info is from the Meguiar's website. It's a Meguiar's product designed for clear plastics.

PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish is an easy-to-use, rich gel formula that quickly restores optical clarity to both rigid and flexible clear plastics. Cutting-edge advancements in Meguiar?s exclusive Microscopic Diminishing Abrasive Technology (MDAT) removes light oxidation, chemical degradation, surface contamination, stains and light surface scratches with ease. Special highly water resistant polymers provide long lasting durable protection to keep your clear plastics clear and beautiful longer.

G-12310 ....................10 oz. (296 ml) $4.99

They also have a few similar products on their Marine & RV product pages.

Reply to
ZZ

I first used Plastx on a Camry that had lenses so yellowed that even trying to clean w/ polishing compound barely made a difference. It took about a half bottle and several applications to get them "almost" new looking, but at $208/side for replacements, I figured it was a good investment!

Since then I've cleaned all the plastic lenses on that car and my Subie, including the clear cover on the instrument panels, and everything looks much better. I'd highly recommend it.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright