Bike rack and hitch success/joy/elation

Many moons ago, I was shopping for alternatives for carrying bikes on my 01 Outback Wagon and posted in these groups for advice.

I'm thrilled to post success based on info gleaned from the newsgroups. I have a few happy joy joy dances to toss out into the net.knowledgebase:

1) eTrailer.com is way cool. I ordered a Hidden Hitch Class 2, 1 1/4" receiver hitch from them my Outback wagon. A big honkin box with the fully assembled hitch receiver arrived at my house. As promised, it went on remarkably easily. Now, I don't fancy myself a terribly gifted mechanical sort, and I have to say it was a low-risk, very high-satisfaction couple of hours I spent putting that hitch on. The only rough spot in that installation was loosening up the bracket for the carbon canister enough to let the hitch bracket slide between it and gas tank (the cannister bracket's bolts were getting a bit rusty after 3 Chicago winters), but other than that it was remarkably easy. Having done it once now, I could probably put another on a similar Outback in under 30 min. I had no idea putting a hitch on a car would be this friggin easy. All this fun for a whopping $125 plus $17 shipping.
2) Sportworks (now owned by Thule) hitch mounted bike racks are a joy. Literally, I can mount my bike on one of these in all of 30 seconds. One pressure bar, and one strap, and off ya go. I managed to find a used Mod series 2-bike system for sale locally and it was in great shape. It was a 2" receiver model, but a $60 part from Thule later (which my bike shop had in stock locally) and voila--it now fits my 1.25" receiver and gives me "flip up" functionality to boot. It's easily removable from the hitch as well, and the bikes are quite stable on it. It's remarkably satisfying to watching them in the rear view mirror.

Cost was $175 (used, like-new condition), $60 for the replacement folding receiver. The new equivalent is the Thule Sportworks Transport T2 which runs about $300, but stock is non-existent on these things locally right now. You can get them here apparently:

Note the 1 1/4" receiver model is limited to 2 bikes. The 2" lets you expand up to 4, but... you can't get a 2" receiver on your Outback installing a hitch yourself, and Sportworks poo poos the use of adapter sleeves.

3) Early in my rack hunt, I picked up a used Yakima Raptor roof mount bike system for $15 at a garage sale. I threw $60 for 2 packs of 24H Yakima MightyMounts, and presto, I now have a pair of Yakima Raptor bike rails on the factory crossbars of the Outback. The system is quiet and sturdy. My Outback now can carry 4 full size bikes, and none of the mounting is a pain at all, and no disassembly is required for any bike. Note: 24H is the right size for my vehicle. Use Yakima's configurator to roll your own. Raptor
MightyMount 24H (attaches Raptor to Subaru factory roof rails)
Of course, even with the bargains I managed to find, I've got more money tied up in bike transport than in my actual bike (also bought used for a song), but having good transport gear makes it _so_ much easier to get to a safe place to have an enjoyable ride. And I can also carry myself and 3 riders to our big annual ride which adds to the fun.

It was remarkable how much crap I had to wade through to get a bike transport system I'd be happy with, so maybe this'll save someone some time.

Best Regards,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

I'll second all this. I ordered a hitch last year from them (for a Hyundai Sante Fe) and it bolted on pretty easily as well.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Thanks a lot! I cruised eTrailer's site and have it bookmarked for future purchases.

Cheers.

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

I looked at Draw-Tite's hitches and I like that the hitch went above the exhaust to hide the hitch even more. Did the Hidden_Hitch drop below the exhaust?

Ken.

Ken & Rese Szeplaki

The Hidden Hitch is not terribly noticeable on the Outback. The bracket does drop below the exhaust, but it's thin and flat where it does. The hitch is recessed enough under the overhang of the bumper that it doesn't appear terribly noticeable unless you're looking for it.

And visually the black bracket that surves under teh exhaust isn't that noticeable either, since it's only ... oh, I'm guessing a 1/2" tall there.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Installing the hitch above the exhaust might require lowering the exhaust temporarily (it did in our case). In the case of our SanteFe, that required some big rubber grommet-type things to be pushed out of the brackets attached to the exhaust. It was more work to remove them then reinstall them, but neither was terribly difficult.

Reply to
Rich

Yes the hidden hitch drops below but is not obtrusive. Plus hidden hitch includes drawbar while draw-tite did not. Draw tites drawbar sells for $20 while the hidden hitch was the same $$ as the drawtite.

Reply to
jabario

Thanks all,

I have just purchased a pre owned 01 outback and was trying to figure the best way to get my bike on it. I was thinking hitch and then I was think roof. I still don't know, but I am looking. Does anyone know who makes a rack that just mounts right to the load bars?

Thanks,

Ken.

Reply to
Ken & Rese Szeplaki

Try

Yakima makes the oem roof rack and sells on their own. Thule also makes them. Avoid hitch racks. Bikes sway, paint gets rubbed. If you can lift bike to the roof go with a roof rack.

Reply to
jabario

I've used Yakima setups on both my 01 and 03 OBWs (and many other vehicles). I've always been very pleased with them. I use the Yakima towers that clamp to the stock Subaru side rails (not the cross rails) with Yakima crossbars. We regularly carry our tandem bike up top, and I've also used it with my kayak and canoe. No problems.

Reply to
BrianW

We have two Thule tandem racks on our 98 Outback, and it works the same way as the Yakima. I just need help hoisting the damn bike up there. I can get a single up no problem, but the tandem is too big/heavy/awkward for someone with spindly arms and of my height.

-- Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky Personal page:

the books I've set free at:

Claire Petersky

Yakima sells a few models that will essentially mount right on the factory crossbars. The Raptors I have with MightyMounts 24H (one box per bike) work that way and they're pretty cool. The MightyMounts are just little plastic thingees that encircle the factory crossbar and give a base for the raptor's bolts to fasten onto.

The Raptor is not the only one of their mounts that can direct mount with a 24H MightMount.

Try Yakima's vehicle configurator, choose rooftop as your preferred style and go from there. They might try to get you to buy their crossbars and towers though, so stick to the options that only require MightyMounts.

Best Regards,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Wandering Willy

I made a Bike Rack for my Subaru Baja - it won't work for your Outbacks but I figure I'd post it anyway -

I disagree on the avoid hitch advice. I have both. Bikes don't sway or come close to rubbing on my Sportworks rack, though it's supporting them by the tires rather than the frames like most other hitch racks.

Roof racks are the best bang for the buck--you can get a good secure fit for a reasonable price. But...you have to get them up there which can be traumatic for some. And dear god don't forget about em when ya pull into the garage. :-)

The main problem with the hitch racks is price--A good wheel-supporting hitch rack (Saris or Thule/Sportworks) will run in the $300's new plus $140 for the hitch.

Best Regards,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

I disagree as well. I have the rack below (supports bike by wheels) and it works very well. The bikes don't move at all. Plus, it holds bikes of all frame configurations equally well.

Rich

I agree that good hitch racks work great and many of them load and unload much faster and easier than roof racks. As to price, The last roof system I bought was about ten years ago and it cost me ~$300 for the whole thing (Thule) Recently I bought a Sportworks hitch rack for just a bit more, so I figure iwth ten years inflation it may even be cheaper. These things (good racks) last a long time. Ten years is not unreasonable so even at $300+ you are looking at less than a buck a month. Not much to my mind.

Reply to
gds

Correct.

It is.

Very true.

So long as you include cost as part of your definition of "best," tis true. Can't go too wrong either way really.

The interesting test for me is to find out how often I opt to put on the Sportworks rack in lieu of hoisting the bikes up to my "permanently installed for the summer "upright roof rack. That'll be the convenience test.... And for highway travel of any distance, I know I'll be gravitating to the sportworks as it's more solid.

More good news on the Sportworks rack on the Hidden Hitch: the hatch of the Outback does still clear even if both bikes are mounted on it.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

NONE of the hitch racks that clamp the top tube load/unload faster than an upright roo rack when you take into account the locking and numerous bungee cords that go along with them. The sportworks may be different but at $300 plus hitch theyre quite steep compared to a $177 roof rack . If you can lift your bike to the roof a roof rack is the best by far!!!!! I couldnt drive through the drive through at McD's on Sat with mine and my gf's bike on top. I had to go inside (which was quicker anyway).

Reply to
jabario

to a $177 roof rack

OK. but I specifically referenced the Sportworks which you admit is much faster than any roof rack. (at least any that I know of) It all comes down to what you prefer. There is no one answer for everyone.But for myself- and using the figures that youprovide and my estimate of ten years for a rack's life- the $133 comes out to a difference of $0.37 per month. So, for each of us we just need to decide if that difference is worth it to us. I have nothing against roof racks and used one happily for a decade. But now having tried the Sportworks hitch rack-I like it better and find it worth the price. The nice thing about this is that you can reach the opposite conclusion and we can both be right. I love win/wins!

Reply to
gds