Bike rack for 2003 Impreza TS Specal Edition Wagon

I'm thinking about getting a bike rack for my 2003 Impreza TS Special Edition Wagon.

I don't plan on hauling my bike that often, so I want to avoid the cost of installing a trailer hitch, and then a hitch-style bike rack. I've also dismissed a roof-style rack because of the perceived difficulty of putting the bike on the roof by myself and perhaps damaging the car.

That leaves me considering bike racks that hang on the hatchback.

The 2003 Impreza TS Special Edition Wagon has a small spoiler on top of the hatch. There's a small gap between the hatch, and the spoiler, that might be big enough to pass the required bike rack clamps through.

Can anyone recommend a hatchback bike rack that will actually fit this car?

I've heard that a Siras Bones rack might, but I've been unable to find any local retailers with one "in stock" so that I can give it a try.

Thanks in advance for all responses!

Reply to
Dale Hennessey

Dale, we used one for a while on our Outback with not too much problem, but it just seemed rickitey. I ALWAYS get a trailer hitch installed with any car for some odd reason, and it's even odder on a Sub with the 1.5" receiver and limited towing capabilty. Finally traded that hanging rack for a Hollywood. Try REI on line (probably expensive) or use Google to find a supplier of "bike carriers" etc.

PS. If you do get a Hollywood ($120?) it needs to be modified. Write me at snipped-for-privacy@icehouse.net and I'll let you know how I recently did it.

Don

Dale Hennessey wrote:

Username munged by FixNews

Reply to
Don

The hitches aren't very expensive at all. It makes hauling your bike so easy that you will go biking more often. You won't regret it.

Reply to
Alan

I have used a Saris Bones rack on my 04 Impress TS wagon one time. It does work. The only issue I had was there are no convenient attach points on the underside to secure the lower two straps (it has six straps total) using the supplied hooks. I think I just tied them off to the tiedown loop and the muffler attach fitting. With a slight modification to the lower strap hooks I think they would fit in the circular holes on the backside of the rear bumper.

Reply to
Craig

Hi Dale!

I too own a 2003 TS SE wagon, on which I added a Subaru roof rack (the same one that is installed on the Outback Sport). For my bikes I bought Thule racks and I can say that it is not difficult to put the bikes on the roof of the car, nor have I damaged any part of the car while mounting bikes on the rack.

hope it helps your choice. JF

Reply to
jf