Blizzak plant burned down?

My local tire dealer told me that the Blizzak plant burned down, and that I would not be able to get any for at least two years. Tire Rack told me this was bull, and I shouldn't have any problem at all. They say they hear these types of rumors all the time.

Anybody know what's going on here?

Sheldon snipped-for-privacy@sopris.net

Reply to
Sheldon

I heard of a Firestone plant burning down a couple of years ago. But that's likely been fixed by now. I haven't heard of another incident since.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

Then just buy them from Tire Rack or Discount Tire Direct. Your local dealer is probably just trying to avoid saying "we don't have those in stock" in hopes that you buy another brand.

-T

Reply to
TT

Tire fires are _very_ difficult to extinguish. The question then becomes, "Is the Blizzak plant _burning_ down?".

Reply to
Verbs Under My Gel

Presumably the plant is not made out of tires :)

Reply to
Chris Phillipo

Actually, I had two good ones and two worn ones. I had them switched over for the spring and asked them about ordering two new ones in the fall. That's when I got the story.

I already ordered two from the Tire Rack, and I'll have four good ones come fall, but this dealer was pretty emphatic about not being able to get them for two years. It's not like I was ordering snow/ice tires in the spring. Nobody has them in stock, except the Tire Rack, and even they were in short supply -- this time of year.

Thanks all.

Sheldon

Reply to
Sheldon

Even if it was blown off the face of the earth it would not take two years to rebuild. Is this dealer frequently full of shit?

Reply to
Chris Phillipo

Searched Google for "blizzak tire plant fire". Nothing indicating a fire. I would:

  1. NEVER use this dealer for anything.
  2. Report the dealer to Subaru.
  3. Tell the sales manager (not the service manager) what happened.

Reply to
Alan

It's not a Subaru dealer. It's Big O Tires.

Sheldon

Reply to
Sheldon