Blizzak Tires

I had my 02 Outback Ltd in to the dealer for an oil change today, and = while there I asked him about snow tires. I live in Michigan (SE) and we = will definitely be getting snow soon. I had my head set to buy Michelin = Arctic Alpins or Nokian Qs, but the dealer only offers Blizzak snow = tires. Mounted on steel rims, the price he gave me was $1,075.

I'm a woman in my 50's. I don't have the time or the inclination to buy = tires on line and have them sent here and then take them in somewhere. I = just want to go to some tire dealer and get 4 new snow tires mounted on = new steel rims. My tires are 16" and I'd like to keep that size. Is the = price above decent? Don't Blizzaks wear out really quickly -- more so = than the Arctic Alpins do? Can anyone tell me anything about Blizzaks? I = live near Detroit and will have no trouble going to a tire dealer, but = I'll probably have to do some phone shopping to find the right thing. = Just wondering about the Blizzaks though.....

June

Reply to
Diva

there I asked him about snow tires. I live in Michigan (SE) and we will definitely be getting snow soon. I had my head set to buy Michelin Arctic Alpins or Nokian Qs, but the dealer only offers Blizzak snow tires. Mounted on steel rims, the price he gave me was $1,075.

on line and have them sent here and then take them in somewhere. I just want to go to some tire dealer and get 4 new snow tires mounted on new steel rims. My tires are 16" and I'd like to keep that size. Is the price above decent? Don't Blizzaks wear out really quickly -- more so than the Arctic Alpins do? Can anyone tell me anything about Blizzaks? I live near Detroit and will have no trouble going to a tire dealer, but I'll p robably have to do some phone shopping to find the right thing. Just wondering about the Blizzaks though.....

Seems a bit high to me. Call a Michelin dealer and ask him what he can do.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I will. Thanks.

June

[...]

In news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com, Diva spewed:

I just checked

For 4 Michelin Artic Alpins mounted on new steel rims and shipped to Detroit (ZIP 48201), the total bill is $602.28. All you'd need to do once they arrive is to have someone swap the summer rims/tires for the winter rims/tires. Your dealer is, to put it mildly, taking you to the cleaners.

Hope this helps,

The Captain

Reply to
Ned Pike

Thanks Ned, but one correction: the dealer is TRYING to take me to the = cleaners. =20

I'll check it out. Thank you.

June

I just checked

For 4 Michelin Artic Alpins mounted on new steel rims and shipped to = Detroit (ZIP 48201), the total bill is $602.28. All you'd need to do once they arrive is to have someone swap the summer rims/tires for the winter rims/tires. Your dealer is, to put it mildly, taking you to the = cleaners.

Hope this helps,

The Captain

Reply to
Diva

Ned, How does one know that they come mounted and balanced? The way I read = the website, they are balanced and mounted if you buy one of their = packages. I don't want the package. That's the blizzak with an alloy = wheel. I want the steel wheels with the Michelins.

June

I just checked

For 4 Michelin Artic Alpins mounted on new steel rims and shipped to = Detroit (ZIP 48201), the total bill is $602.28. All you'd need to do once they arrive is to have someone swap the summer rims/tires for the winter rims/tires. Your dealer is, to put it mildly, taking you to the = cleaners.

Hope this helps,

The Captain

Reply to
Diva

Oh my lord, that's never happened before, has it?

Father Guido ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ I plan on living forever... so far, so good

Reply to
Father Guido

website, they are balanced and mounted if you buy one of their packages. I don't want the package. That's the blizzak with an alloy wheel. I want the steel wheels with the Michelins.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

In news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com, Diva spewed:

Starting from the home page and clicking through to the appropriate "package" page, there's an option to create your own package by clicking on the rim size (16") on the left side of the page. You then get a page with tire & rim choices. Selecting the Arctic Alpins and steel wheels, I then clicked on "Proceed to Checkout." The confirmation screen says in bold red letters that these tires will be mounted & balanced.

Reply to
Ned Pike

from what i've read, the blizzak's are great tires for winter...even better than studs (which i'm allowed to use in colorado). although, i think $1000 is way high. i just ordered a set of winter duelers (they're the same tire as the blizzak but in truck sizes) for my

4runner and including steel wheels they were $650. truck tires are usually more expensive than car tires (at least for me they've always been), so i think that the dealer is about 80% too high.

you may not actually need winter tires for your car though. i have a '99 legacy sedan and i have the goodyear eagle hp uni directional tires. they're a really good all weather tire. i've had them for a little over a year and 15k miles and they show no signs of wear. i had them for last winter which was really snowy/icy in colorad and they performed great. i never wished that i had winter tires. in fact the snow was so deep once that i was using the bumper of my legacy as a plow while driving 50mph on the highway and felt perfectly stable. they were in the neighborhood of $130 a tire mounted and balanced, but they are great in winter, and even better on long 85mph road trips. i can honestly say they're the best tires i've ever used.

mike

Reply to
Gina S

I have to agree. I have a 2001 Subaru Forrester with the original tires in Massachusetts. We just had a horrendous winter and the AWD had no problems with stock Yokohamas. Steep driveway, 2-year-old in the back and the control was great.

I have no doubt snow tires are better, but careful driving and good seasonals were great for us.

B.

Reply to
BKS

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Gotcha. Thanks again!

June

Starting from the home page and clicking through to the appropriate "package" page, there's an option to create your own package by clicking = on the rim size (16") on the left side of the page. You then get a page = with tire & rim choices. Selecting the Arctic Alpins and steel wheels, I = then clicked on "Proceed to Checkout." The confirmation screen says in bold = red letters that these tires will be mounted & balanced.

Reply to
Diva

Thanks, Gina, but I need winter tires. I went through the first winter = on the all-weather tires, and they are fine for non-winter, but too = scary on the Outback for around here in winter. I've read a lot of = reviews and asked lots of people about winter tires, and I just want to = go with the Michelins.

June

[...]

Yep! I'm a very careful driver. I try to gauge the feel of the car on = different surfaces and don't just hit the pedal. I drive in to work in = the dark in an area where starting out in my county the roads are always = treated and slushy (unless it's just started snowing) to where there is = no salt at all and often is icy and slick. On an icy road last year, = with the AWD and stock Potenza tires it was unreal scary and was = slipping all over the place. I need winter tires, and will be getting = the Michelins.=20

June

BKS wrote:

Reply to
Diva

Just bought from Tirerack.com the 4 steel wheels, 4 wheelcovers, and 4 = Michelin Arctic Alpins. Total was $632.85. My husband says he can easily = put them on. Yippeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!

June

June

BKS wrote:

Reply to
Diva

YIPPEEEEE!!! Just got notice from Tire Rack in my confirmation that = there is a $40 dollar rebate coming from the purchase of the Michelins = too. YEA! So the dealer markup (and installer fee) was 45%????? RIPOFF.

June

June

June

BKS wrote:

Reply to
Diva

I usually mount studded snow tires on my OBW in winter for frequent drives to the mountains, however this year I'm trying something different. My tire shop recommended siping my Toyo Ultra 800's (all-season radials) . From what they explained, siping makes tires behave better on snow & ice. Don't know how this will compare to studs, however.

--Pete

Reply to
Peter Berkey

So what is siping?

June

I usually mount studded snow tires on my OBW in winter for frequent = drives to the mountains, however this year I'm trying something different. My tire shop recommended siping my Toyo Ultra 800's (all-season radials) . From what they explained, siping makes tires behave better on snow & = ice. Don't know how this will compare to studs, however.

--Pete

Reply to
Diva

Nevermind. I saw your other thread, and went to the site. Very = interesting stuff.

June

June