botched halfshaft replacement! need help

i tried today to replace the drivers side halfshaft. i misread the instructions and pulled the shaft out of the differential with the diff's gear stub still attached. i reinstalled the new shaft and test drove it. i realized by the 15th foot of my driveway something was wrong, my car 93 subaru legacy 2wd, made a loud mechinical pop. i checked under and sure enough the differential stub was not installed all the way. i took the shaft back out and now the car grinds while in gear and and horribly when in park, the front end is sitting off the ground on jackstands. did i kill my differential? i just bought this car 2 weeks ago, any advice, repair options is much appreciated!!

Reply to
outlawstar766

I guess something could now be wrong with the differential but your description of the noise is odd. I can understand the differential making noise when the car is in motion but not when in PARK. Nothing inside the differential moves when in PARK. I'm thinking something else is the source of the grinding noise but have no idea what it could be. Could drain the differential and look for metal chips.

Reply to
johninKY