brake bleeding procedure

I will try to bleed my brake system soon. I read in some manual that I should do it with engine running, and other manual doesn't specify that requirement. Anyone know the right procedure? That's for an 1999 Impreza TS.

Thank you.

Reply to
Philippe Javaux

Edward Hayes

Hi Philippe, This is from Subaru's Impreza service manual. hope it helps.

500 mil of DOT4 was more than enough for my Forester. I bled until the fluid run clean and then some more. Cheers leo

19.Brake Fluid A: REPLACEMENT

1) Either jack up the vehicle and place a safety stand under it, or lift up the vehicle. 2) Remove the both front and rear wheels. 3) Draw out the brake fluid from master cylinder with syringe. 4) Refill the reservoir tank with recommended brake fluid. Recommended brake fluid: FMVSS No. 116, fresh DOT3 or 4 brake fluid NOTE: Avoid mixing different brands of brake fluid to prevent degrading the quality of the fluid. Be careful not to allow dirt or dust to get into the reservoir tank. Bleeding sequence (1) -+ (2) -+ (3) -+ (4) I I (1) Front right (2) Rear left (3) Front left (4) Rear right (5) Secondary (6) Primary 5) Install one end of a vinyl tube onto the air bleeder and insert the other end of the tube into a container to collect the brake fluid. NOTE: Cover the bleeder with waste cloth, when loosen- ing it, to prevent brake fluid from being splashed over surrounding parts. During bleeding operation, keep the brake re- serve tank filled with brake fluid to eliminate entry of air. Brake pedal operation must be very slow. For convenience and safety, it is advisable to have two men working. The amount of brake fluid required is approxi- mately 500 m 0 (1 6.9 US fl oz, 17.6 Imp fl 02) for to- tal brake system. 6) Instruct your co-worker to depress the brake pedal slowly two or three times and then hold it de- pressed. 7) Loosen the bleeder screw approximately 1/4 turn until a small amount of brake fluid drains into con- tainer, and then quickly tighten screw. 8) Repeat steps 6) and 7) above until there are no air bubbles in drained brake fluid and new fluid flows through vinyl tube. NOTE: Add the brake fluid as necessary while performing the air bleed operation, in order to prevent the tank from running short of brake fluid. 9) After completing the bleeding operation, hold brake pedal depressed and tighten the screw and install the bleeder cap. Tightening torque: 10) Bleed the air from each wheel cylinder by fol- lowing the previous 5 steps. 11) Depress the brake pedal with a force of approx- imately 294 N (30 kgf, 66 Ib) and hold it there for ap- proximately 20 seconds. At this time check pedal to see if it makes any unusual movement. Visually in- spect bleeder screws and brake pipe joints to make sure that there is no fluid leakage. 12) Install the wheels, and drive the vehicle for a short distance between 2 to 3 km (1 to 2 miles) to make sure that brakes are operating properly. 8 Nom (0.8 kgf-m, 5.8 ft-lb)
Reply to
99Red_Forester

Thank you all!

"99Red_Forester" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com...

Reply to
Philippe Javaux

Hi,

Only thing I can think of you get with the engine running is the brake booster is active. But that's not normally necessary for bleeding purposes, so I'd be inclined to leave the engine off and follow the directions the others have given. Note especially the order of which wheel first, etc., and if there are any special instructions regarding ABS in the book (maybe that's why the "engine running" recommendation--so you don't trip a warning light or something?)

And be careful on that first test run after you do the procedure, just in case!

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Reply to