brake fluid

Hello.

Is it hard to replace the brake fluid? Can I drain the system from a bleeder valve at one of the four corners, and simply refill it under the hood? I'm replacing the drums and rotors anyway, and I figure the fluid is due for replacement.

I have a 2003 Impreza Outback.

Thanks, Chicobiker

Reply to
Chicobiker

BTW, how much fluid are we talking about here?

Reply to
Chicobiker

You must drain it at each wheel to replace it all, otherwise, yes what you said will work.

Reply to
Bob Noble

It's not hard, but takes some time and two people. You need someone to work each bleeder valve in succession(work your way from farthest to closest) and someone pumping the brake pedal. It is MUCH easier at the shop where they have a pressure bleeder. The absolute most important point is to not reservoir run out of fluid. This is very, very bad! If air gets into the ABS system all manner of bad things will happen. Get someone who has done it before to help. It should be less than a quart of fluid. Be sure you get the right kind per the manual.

Reply to
Mike Copeland

Good post. About the only way I would attempt it alone would be with 'Speed Bleeders' or one of the various pressure devices made for the purpose. I have also heard of people modifying a cut-out section of bicycle tube to make their own pressure system to attach to the master cylinder! I'm not sure buying any special equipment is worth it unless you track your car a lot or have multiple vehicles to maintain. But, if you just can't get a helper to pump the pedal - at least there are alternatives!

Mike - does the fluid in the ABS system never actually get flushed? I always wondered about that.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Hi, Carl

I've never messed w/ the ABS brakes on the one car I have that has 'em, but recall reading a warning to watch the order you bleed the system w/ ABS. It appeared some ABS systems DON'T get bled in the standard "start at the furthest corner and work in" pattern. I guess you'd want to check the book on a particular car to see if this is true...

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

I am not a mechanic, all of my experience is from working on my cars a while back. As I understand it, the ABS part of the system is somewhat isolated during normal operation. Only when the ABS actuates is fluid moved in and out of the ABS side of the brake system. To flush it requires special tools and knowledge of how to override the controller. I would not attempt it.

Reply to
Mike Copeland

Chilton's does specify the order. It goes across from front right to back left to front left to back right.

Reply to
Chicobiker

Or make one of these:

I take a quart bottle with a flat top and some low pressure hose. Drill two holes in the top about the same size as the hose. Take about 2 1/2 to

3 feet of hose and pass it through one hole until it is within 1/2" of the bottom of the jar, take a smaller piece of hose (approx 4") and stick it into the other hole about 1" down. Fill the jar with enough brake fluid to go about 1" over the hose. Attach the hose to the bleeder and loosen the bleeder. Pump the brakes 4-5 times to get the hose filled and check the master cylinder reservoir, adding brake fluid as needed. Pump the brake a few more times and check the level again. If you used clear tubing you can look at the 'bleeder' and see if the brake fluid is clean. Another good idea is to have a stick or a handle that will hold the brake pedal to the floor while you check things out. When the fluid in the tube is clean, press the pedal, use the stick or what have you to hold the pedal to the floor, close the bleeder screw and remove the hose.

ALWAYS start at the furthest wheel (pass. side rear), move to the next furthest, and then the pass side front and end with the driver's side front. It takes a while but it will clean the brake system well.

Reply to
Hachiroku