Brake Line

1996 Subie Legacy Outback. Spent trhe past week redoing all the brakes, pads, rotors, calipers, etc. Got it all back together and tried a test, put my foot on the pedla and right to the floor.

Subaru Legacy, 1996 Outback wagon. Guess which brake line?

So I looked on line and found you can bypass the steel block that holds it in place. Anyone done this, so I'm not just bumpbing my way through my hat? Really don't feel like trying to get the tank out.

Reply to
hachiroku

I'll be inspecting my 99. I have no idea what your talking about.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

You can't really see it. I did a search on Google and ran across quite a few instances of it. It's the pass side rear brake line. You have to remove the wheel and follow the steel line up over the gas tank to where it disappears from sight. I ran my hand along there and I could feel the rot.

Gott question the wisdon of putting a steel line where road dust and salt will collect unfettered.

People have said to cut the line, splice in another piece of line and don't clamp it in the steel block, but run it along side the fuel tank.

And all the complaints I have seen were onthe passenger's side, none on the driver's side.

I'm going to check this tomorrow or some time next week. I guess, from what I've read the line runs inside the car...? and then goes through a grommet under the rear seat, out over the tank and to the flexible line.

Reply to
hachiroku

Okay, I'll bite on the obvious questions.

Did you bleed the system (cylinder and lines)?

Did you check the flex lines to see if they're spongy and need replacement? With that much work and with that much age, the flexible brake lines should be replaced (but you didn't mention them in your list unless they were part of "etc").

Do you find brake fluid on the floor when you press the pedal?

The "steel block"? That holds WHAT in place?

Reply to
VanguardLH

The first thing you should do is check the reservoir. If it's full then either your master cylinder has failed completely or you have air in the lines. A lot of air. Bleed your brakes again.

Reply to
dsi1

Reservior is full. Or was. When you press the pedal you can see it squirting out from above the fuel tank.

WHat I don't get: the lines are covered with a rubber coating to the point where they pass through under the seat. Then where the junction is they are covered with a rubber coating up to the point where they go over the fuel tank. Then the coating stops, and begins again where they emerge from the rear of the tank.

All the tubing covered by the rubber coating is in immaculate condition. Why the HELL did Subaru leave the tubing exposede at the exact area where dirt and road salt are going to accumulate?!?!?!

Reply to
hachiroku

If you can see brake fluid "squirting out", then you've obviously got a leak at that point - either something isn't tight enough and / or something needs replacing.

Maybe they didn't. Seems unlikely they'd suddenly stop and then restart the covering. Maybe someone else removed it for some reason (previous owner? mechanic?). Or maybe the covering has split and part of it has been moved further up / down the line.

Either way, you could buy some rubber hose or plastic to put over the top yourself.

Reply to
Your Name

Are you talking about the sprayed-on anti-rust underbody coating? That's an after-market application done at the dealer, they contract it out, or you do after purchase. Or is that rubber coating just a sleeve over the metal line to eliminate vibration noise against the body and isn't really anything to do with rust-proofing the metal line?

Are we to assume that the leak is at an actual rust spot or is it that you can see some rust but haven't yet seen the actual leak point?

Don't remember seeing accumulations of dirt and salt atop the gas tank. But it might be wise to start including the underbody wash when you get a car wash after driving through mud holes, flooded streets, or splashing through salty slush.

Reply to
VanguardLH

The crud accumulation on top of MOST gastanks is out of reach of the underbody wash - and in the rust belt - a REAL problem.. The move to plastic tanks has reduced the problem significantly - as far as the tank goes - and plastic fuel lines are a god-send as well. But running brake lines through that little hell-hole is pure stupidity on the part of the engineers. Likely dictated by a $0.05 savings per vehicle in the eyes of the bean-counters.

Reply to
clare

So far I've just run my hand along it, but you can feel where the line has rusted through.

I'm not a fan of washing under the car. I did it for years and had cars rust out rapidly. Then I bought a new car and never washed under the car, and it took it 17 years before the rust started.

Reply to
hachiroku

No, there's sharp terminations where the plastic starts and stops. It was cut that way. For some reason they decided not to put it where the lines go over the tank.

If it comes out in one piece I'll post some pics of it somewhere.

Reply to
hachiroku

I'm a fan of getting underneath, clean, paint. Well, not fond of getting underneath, but that keeps things in order. I did that quite a few times with my old datsun. Kept it clean for over 30 years. It wasn't really a winter car, but you can do yearly summer maintenance with a winter car.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I spray mine with hydraulic oil. I had an '85 Celica GTS I bought in 2002 for $250 with NO RUST because the original owner did it every other year for 8 years.

Reply to
hachiroku

Wow, trying to get things done on vehicles before winter. One thing I used to do, and still would consider doing, I used to spray inside doors, panels, with boiled linseed oil. The only thing, it's smells pretty bad for a couple weeks.

01 Cavalier, had brake lines replaced and front supports that loosened. Brushed and sprayed underside rusty main supports, gas lines, and anything with rust. 72K miles. 66 datsun. Cleaning up battery holder and front frame supports. Light rust spots. 114k miles 07 avalanche. Getting inside panel behind back door, bottom. One side has rust bubbles. Yes, there is rust inside both panels, treating inside with rust converter first. Might have professional redo of rust bubbling paint. 66k 99 outback. Just going to look at it, since I just got it. 100k and very clean body.

Good weather running out of time. Been rainy. No garage open. Datsun in garage.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

66 Datsun what...?
Reply to
hachiroku

1600 roadster.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Datsun Fairlady - NICE!!!!!!

Reply to
clare

That's a tough car to take. If you find it's too much for you, I'll take it off your hands at no charge to you! ;)

Trivia Time: do you know what that car is called in Japan, and why?

No fair Googling!

Reply to
hachiroku

I might have read why, but I forget.

Got some carbs to work on, or leaking or gummed up. I found found out the other day, I was stepping on gas, and watching carbs. Throttle was only going about 65%. Tightened gas pedal linkage, now I should see more go.

Going to post picture.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I've since redone dash finish in black wrinkle.

Greg

Reply to
gregz