Brake pads - 2001 Outback wagon

Hello all!

The wife recently bought an '01 Outback wagon. Great car, but the brake pedal effort is really high - sometimes she's afraid she won't be able to stop the car. All the components in the brake system appear to be in good shape.

I suspect that someone has installed super-hard brake pads in the hope of getting long life, so I'd like to try putting some other pads in there.

Can anyone recommend a brand/source of pads that will stop the car well without requiring 2 feet on the pedal? :^)

She's not exactly Mario Andretti so not looking for "performance" pads, just regular "daily driver" stuff.

Thanks!

Eric Law Wilmington, MA

Reply to
EL

effort is really high - sometimes she's afraid

appear to be in good shape.

getting long life, so I'd like to try putting some

without requiring 2 feet on the pedal? :^)

regular "daily driver" stuff.

I've always had good luck with stock genuine Subaru brake pads. I've not been happy with NAPA pads. If hard pads have been installed, you may have to replace the rotors to get back to the factory feel.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Are the brakes spongy or require a lot of pedal travel? It may be as simple as bleeding the brakes of some trapped air. I have also has brake pads glaze over on me that can cause noise and extended stops.

-Kurt

EL wrote:

effort is really high - sometimes she's afraid

appear to be in good shape.

getting long life, so I'd like to try putting some

without requiring 2 feet on the pedal? :^)

regular "daily driver" stuff.

Reply to
Kurt C. Hack