Brake pulsation

I have a 1997 and 2001 Outback. Both cars suffer from warped rotors and brake pulsation. I can somewhat understand my 97, because I drive 30 miles to Miami and back every day. Ninety percent of the people down here do not know how to drive. So, it's brake hard, brake hard, and hope the idiot behind me is not reading the paper or asleep. I've replaced the rotors, and had them turned twice. After only about two months, the vibration and pulsation are back. Has anyone tried ceramic pads? I'm told that there is less heat build up. I've checked the temperature of my rotors after I get home and both fronts show about 165 degrees.

Thanks,

Captain Marty

Reply to
<olsen386

Dunno about ceramics with respect to lowering rotor temps--I'd imagine they're certainly better at handling heat froma pad perspective, but in terms of being friendlier to the rotor, the opposite may actually be the case with the harder material.

One thing you don't mention is the importance of proper lugnut torque. A pimple faced jackhole teenager at a tire store armed with an an impact wrench without a torque stick can easily overtoruqe various lugnuts leading soon to warped rotors as well. It's best to retorque things yourself with a calibrated torque wrench after any time your wheels are removed.

Another thing worth mentioning is that modern rotors aren't terribly thick, and reportedly don't respond well to turning. Once turned, their reduced thickness makes them more prone to warping. Be sure to check the runout specs.

Best Regards,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

I have a 2K outback wagon with 70 K miles on it. Pulsing rotors seem to be a fact of life for me. At 20K, they started pulsing a little, after being improperly torqued. I lived with it until 35K and then turned them and replaced the pads.(even though they still had some wear left) I used some softer pads that tend to dust the wheels. I have been very carefull to watch the torquing on them and I now notice at 70K that the brakes are just starting to pulse a little at higher speeds. I suspect that I will get about 40K this time around. I live in the Pacific Northwest, where driving up and down hills daily is a fact of life, although my wife is fairly easy on the brakes and it is her car. Good luck! Jim Lofgren

Reply to
Jim L

Often, vibration on braking can be bad tires. They usually won't cause much pedal pulsation, but they will cause vibration/shuddering. If your tires are old (not just worn) they may be suffering from a little tread separation. Rumor has it, many newer tires do not hold up as well as in the past due to some 'adjustments' made to tire manufacturing process prompted by EPA/Kyoto-type mandates.

I dunno

Carl

Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Another thought...when you replace rotors, get good ones. The cheaper "white box" rotors are OK, but the metal rusts much easier if you are in a salt area (ie either winter salt or sea salt), and are sometimes thinner than better rotors (same o/s dimension, but the vent holes are wider, therefore less metal thickness between the vent and the rubbing surface, making them more prone to warping). More expensive rotors seem to be better, with Brembo being the most durable, but the original Subaru ones are good too. Turned rotors never seem to last, you remove metal, making the rotor thinner, and if the machine has any play in it, it will not remove the runout completely. Also make sure the back of the rotor and the hub are clean, any spec of rust or dirt can cause a wobble. Ed B

Reply to
ed

Agreed - lugnut torque has a huge effect on the pulsating feeling commonly misdiagnosed as warped rotors.

Reply to
Rat

Did you replace the pads?... I had a warp in the back after getting the brakes hot by going down hills. Replaced the pads with semi-metalic types. Drove 20k with no problems before I sold it at 58K. Never had a problem up front. My new Saturn Vue. 30K and both rotor insides were scored, outsides were fine.

Reply to
M. Butkus