Brake Squeak on 2004 Forester

We have a 2004 Subaru Forester purchased in Minneapolis Minnesota. The vehicle has 18,000 miles on it and the rear brakes are squeaking already. They seem to squeak when going slow (maybe 5mph) when coming to a stop. I think the driver side front brakes squeak too sometimes. There shouldn't any over use of the brakes since we got the vehicle. Could the rear shoes be worn out already? Or is there another possible problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
Jim Knoll

The pads/shoes are probably glazed. I would try several fairly high speed, heavy braking stops with a minute so between runs. If you can safely, run up to 60+ mph and bring the car down to 10 mph as quick as you can without activating the abs. Let the brakes cool by moving with the brakes off for a minute or so and repeat 3 times. This may help but, if not then you have two chooses; live with it or remove the pads and sand the glaze off. Ed"Jim Knoll" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

Reply to
Edward Hayes

My first set of pads lasted 66k.

But, depending on what the other owner was doing, they could be worn out. (A guy I work with has terrible braking and driving habits and he goes through one set of brakes about every 6 months.)

Some places do free checks, find one and use it.

(The "brakes are gone" squeak is not a smooth sound, its a "metal scraping on metal" sound. Also, when the pads were worn, I could SEE a little line where the clip hit the rotor and had made a scratch there.)

Reply to
Funkadyleik Spynwhanker