Brakes

I'm looking to replace the brakes soon on my 03 forester xs. I need to either replace or turn down the rotors . I was thinking of replacing them (the rotors) and was wondering if the basic OEM type from Auto Zone will work fine? Also I heard that turning down rotors could make them thinner and warp easier? I live in the south and it get's very hot and and with heavy braking I want to play it safe. I notice that there is some rotors with holes drill for cooling but are very expensive. My question I guess is are the OEM brakes carried @ a local auto parts store good enough or should I pay a high price for name stuff and would it work better?

Reply to
John

Often, just replacing the pads is fine. Do you experience 'pulsing' in the brake pedal or jerkiness when stopping now?

I dunno about Autozone's rotors - they are probably OK. You could also price OEM from an online discount dealer like

or shop after market like Brembo, Stoptech, etc. Some folks claim it's best to buy pads from the same 3rd party manufacturer as you get the rotor from. I suspect that is a greater concern for 'performance' driving. Some high performance brake pads are actually dangerous for 'daily drivers'. And you don't want drilled rotors. Even slotted rotors are really better for vehicles being tracked occasionally.

good info here;

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

The Forester has only 40k but when I bought it the car sat for 2 months and no one drove it. For some reason the brake pads fused to the rotors(I'm thinking rusted) When I went to drive it it wouldn't even move. Then after a loud thug they broke loose and after that the rotors have vibrated only when the brakes are pressed. It has worn in alot since then which I was hoping for but after 15k miles it still does it just a little. It's enough to bug me. I never drive it my wife does and she never complianed so I though it was good. Any ways thanks for the advise.

John

Reply to
John

NO NO NO NO a thousand times NO.

Search my prior posts for why. Brakes are a tough things on these subies, so my advice is to replace with OEM pads and rotors, or go with premium ceramic pads and matching rotors from the same manufacturer.

If you're thinking about turning your rotors, make sure there's enough rotor left to do it, and if it's the original rotor, I'd definitely go with the OEM pads.

It will work better. Autozone pads are absolute crap, they fit but they are not the material rated for your relatively heavy AWD vehicle and they will shed all over your wheels, and they will not have teh stopping power that's spec'd for your car.

Best Regards,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

For what it is worth: I just went through a bout of similar questions and decision-making and here is what I got and what I am very happy right now. Ended up ordering rotors and pads from Tirerack.com. Rotors were Brembo, regular ventillated. Supposed to be better than plain Forester OEM (Brembo rotors are OEM on STI). Pads were Akebono ProACT Ceramic, supposedly better than semi-metallic OEM and they have probably the best and most consitently high reviews on Tirerack.com.

If I went with all Subaru genuine OEM, it would have cost me about $150 more. So far so good. Brakes are 100% silent, not grabby at all, allowing very smooth braking, but brake very well when pressed hard.

SimGa

Reply to
Simon Garfunkel

Did you change it out your self? I was looking at the rotor and was wondering once the caliper comes off does the rotor slip off or do I have to remove that nut I see?

John

Reply to
John

Mine just slipped off. Yours may be rusted on, but the big nut isn't holding it.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Reply to
John

You mention ceramic pads. What is the difference between ceramic, semi metalic, and organic? I live in a hilly area with lot's of braking. I need to know out of these three which is better? I will need to change out the rotor. I like the idea of sticking with same brands for both pads and rotors. In the past I always drove junk cars and would stick the cheapest brakes I could find in them. But now I have a wife and kids and want the best for them.(that's why I bought a Subie). Thanks for all the feedback.

John

Reply to
John