Brakes: Impreza '03

I took my 2003 Impreza Outback in for service because the brake pedal was pulsing and the brakes seemed to have very weak stopping power. The service department "retrued front bake rotors with 'Pro-Cut Lathe' as needed". This was covered under warranty. They also "cleaned and lubed" the rear brakes and "adjusted" the rear brakes. The pulsing has gone away and, according to the mechanic, the road test was "A-OK" after these brake repairs and adjustments were made. But it feels to me like the brakes are still weak, and the pedal is kind of squishy, compared to other cars I've driven--including the 2005 Legacy wagon loaner I rented during the repair, and my friend's Ford Escape, which has really great brakes. My Impreza's brakes don't "grab" (in a good sense) until the brake pedal has been pressed pretty far down. And my car is taking longer to stop than other cars I've driven even after the brakes have begun to grab. Is there another adjustment I can ask for which would make the brake pedal "higher" and less squishy--so I don't have to press it down so far? And is there any way to improve the stopping power of the brakes? Thanks J.

Reply to
Jane

make sure the brake lines are bled well and consider getting stainless steel brake lines to get a firmer pedal feel, get some good performance brake pads too...they may be ashy..but will grab harder

Reply to
Jimmy Joe

Reply to
Edward Hayes

I have the same thing with my Impreza 03 brakes. If you have stainless steel brake lines installed and/or put on performance brake pads, would the Subaru warranty be affected? Xavo

Reply to
Xavo