Break-In?

Doesn't seem they make a big deal of that anymore, but it's still a good idea I think.

Just don't change the oil too early. That seems to be a common mistake with folks not realizing there's a special oil in there for the first interval. At least there was with mine.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Got a new '05 Forester. No info in manual on any break-in procedures/period. Is there a break-in period like in the old days? Seems not....

Reply to
xx

Apparently the recommendations have been to change the factory fill oil at 3000 miles. Some people like to do an early change, and the factory bulletins have said it should be at least 1000 miles before the first oil change.

I had a used oil analysis on my 2004 WRX, and the results included a molybdenum level of 894 parts per million. I think it might have been a combination of the rings breaking in, assembly lube, and/ or a break-in additive.

Take it easy, and don't floor it for the first 1000 miles.

I personally did my first oil/filter change with exactly 3000 miles on the odometer using conventional 10W-30. I followed that with two changes with conventional 10W-30 at about 1000 miles each time, but no oil filter change. Then I did an oil/filter change at about

6000 miles with Mobil 1 5W-30, which I've used since. I haven't gone over 4K miles between oils changes, but I might once my used oil analysis shows that copper levels have gone down.
Reply to
y_p_w

Hi,

I know most mfrs don't make much of break-in today, but the advice not to floor it, vary speeds, etc., still seems good to me. An engine's an engine--the biggest improvements today are the tighter clearances, closer machining tolerances and better oils, but the basic mechanics of the situation are still the same, only the scale has changed. So maybe you won't HELP new engines as much with a careful break-in as in past decades, but you won't HURT 'em, either.

Hope you enjoy your new Forester!

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

If you buy a WRX that's been used for demo rides, you can bet it's been floored a few times already (:

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I was told to wait 3000 miles to change the oil... to not put synthetic oil in below 7500 miles (eg the next oil change) and to keep it below 4000RPM for the first 400 miles except for short bursts on my 2005 WRX turbo. BTW, it burnt a whole lot of oil in the first 3000 miles or less and none since.

Reply to
Mike

i got a new legacy, and the dealer told me that is no break-in for my model. and it is not even necessary to go for a checkup after x miles. it seems to greatly depend on the engine model these days.

Reply to
dirk dierickx

In my owner's manual, chapter 8 "Driving Tips" or something like that, there's a section titled "Break-in of a new vehicle, first

1600 km (1000 mi)". Subaru recommends :
  1. not to race the engine and, except in an emergency, not to exceed 4000 rpm.
  2. whether going fast or slow, never keep the engine turning at a constant rpm
  3. except in an emergency avoid sudden accelerations
  4. except in an emergency avoid hard breaking

I'd add to check your oil very frequently. You'll probably not make it to your first scheduled inspection without loosing at least 1l of oil. Things get better with time.

Reply to
Paul

Reply to
kevin wallis

I'd suggest load it lightly the first few thousand, with brief spurts up to higher speeds not over the speed limit. Be more carefull in hot weather. Overheating of the piston rings is the main problem with a new engine. After about 5,000 miles add Duralube. It reduces wear, particularly on start up. You can hear the reduced noise on a cold start. I've used DL on 5 engines and have far less engine wear than others with the same engine. I also get a slight reduction in fuel comsumption, of about 3 to 5%. I measure all my fuel consumption and use it as a maintenance indicator for such things as spark plugs.

Reply to
Moon Guy