break light and anti-lock system

Hi,

Recently, I drove my 96 Outback in snow and my anti-lock breaks were engaged several times (worked perfectly!). However, my break light came on after that and stayed on for a day before going off. Should I be concerned?

-Steve

Reply to
Y.H. Shen

Oh! I should clarify a bit more... It was the break light indicator in the instrument cluster that stayed on for about a day.

-Steve

Reply to
Y.H. Shen

When you say brake light indicator, do you mean ABS light?

This is one of the warning lights that generally go off after you start the car. The computer runs through some checks and determines if everything is functioning ok. If the light comes on and stays on continuously it is something to be concerned with. Slam Hard on the brakes, does the ABS work? If not, then you have your answer a sensor is gone, the brakes work fine just no ABS. Our cars slowed fine without ABS, but they are safer.

If the BRAKE light is on check your emergency brake;.

Reply to
Marc Soloway

Check the brake fluid level as well as the e-brake. The same light is used to indicate low brake fluid level.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Marc Soloway wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Thanks! It was the "Break" indicator, not the ABS indicator. I'll check to see the fluid level.

-Steve

Reply to
Y.H. Shen