Breaking in a New Car

what's the latest theory on breaking them in? Last I remember was no sustained high speeds for 1K mi, or something like that. May be picking up a car 120mi away, and the Interstate would be quicker, but I'm thinking secondary roads, and maybe stopping and letting it cool down often. Don't need no head gasket blowing.(((

VF

Reply to
houndman

I'd stay on the main road and not give it a second thought.

We've never really worried about break in other than being meticulous about the first couple oil changes. Moderately hard running should seat the rings better than babying it.

The last new car we bought was my wife's WRX. Since it had been on the lot as a demo for a couple hundred miles, we can only guess how it had been driven (:

Reply to
Jim Stewart

AFAIK the procedure continues to be the same.

I would jump on the interstate but would change the speed up and down from the 40 or so interstate minimun speed all the way to 70 or so, avoiding a constant speed.

I continue to think that the initial 1000 miles are critical for all components, including pistons, bearings, rings, cylinder, transmission, etc etc., so I would baby it as specified in the owners manual. The surfaces of all materials that slide over something else will be lapped during the break in period.

Congrats on your new car

Good luck

snipped-for-privacy@ph> what's the latest theory on breaking them in? Last I remember was no

Reply to
AS

It's Not Sube Yet, till I pay for it, and get it.

What is strange, I am planing on upping my Ins coverage. With an AWD car? Guess I'm not that confident, but maybe because I plan to disconnect the ABS and air bags.))

VF

Reply to
houndman

Owner's manual should tell you - if you can read. You don't seem too bright to me ;) Frank

Reply to
Frank

DUH... gota a manuell I can peruze mo on. Ty idn't ive me oen wen I ent to ook at the ars. I have factory shop manual. Will that tell me? Didn't think so. ..

You must like air bags and ABS. Not Me!!

Reply to
houndman

In my Forester manual it's under Driving Tips - Chapter 8. My car's 4 years old but calls for keeping rpms under 4,000 and not driving at constant speed for first 1,000 miles.

I do like airbags and ABS. Airbags in my first Forester may have saved me from being hospitalized when dingbat in PT Cruiser hit me head on. All I had was bruise from seat belt but she had to stay in hospital. OTOH both airbags going off probably contributed into car's being totaled which is what happens when repair estimate approaches blue book value.

Reply to
Frank

If ABS wasn't an advantage, it wouldn't be illegal in certain racing bodies.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

I'm sure all the guys who dislike ABS think they can brake more effectively in an emergency situation.

Betcha only, oh, I'll be generous--maybe 10% actually can.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

If ABS is illegal in racing, does that mean it is an advantage, and they do they want drivers to crash into each other??)) I Think they might not feel it is better, or they would all have it. Wonder why FWD models are made to into RWD in race cars? What about air bags.?? Surviving 200mph crashes without them, and a 5 or 6point harness sounds safe to me.

I put seat belts in an old car when they started coming out in new ones. I used to add all the police options when buying a new car, like brakes and suspension parts, and opted for oversized brakes with no power assist, because the brake boost made them too sensitive. Thank god that cars are now made to have more feel in steering and brakes, and ride firmer, which I find more comfortable, and less fatiguing.

VF

Reply to
houndman

In 45 yrs of driving I only hit one car, a young girl who hit her brakes, and looked like she was going to stop at a 1 way stop sign, but came out behind a parked car right in front of me.

I always went for the biggest brakes available on a car, and tires that gripped in the rain, or I drove accordingly. I passed on buying a

84-86' Mustang SVO that I am still looking at 20yrs later, because Ford put GYear Gatorbacks on it, and they were terrible in the rain. After owing a car that had Great brakes, I bought a set of cheap pads, because the car was old, and it never stopped so well. Now I want pads that wear out fast, and stop me car lengths shorter when applying the pedal like the harder pads need. First time I stopped with them at speed, I stopped 6 lengths shorter than I used to. They don't last as long but Sure DO Stop.

Coming off an off ramp of an interstate that was slushy, but iced from braking I doubt that ABS would have helped, Since I Read that they Don't stop as fast on ice which I Thought was their Main advantage. With a car braking like mad in front of me, because a car ahead was sideways, I had NO traction, and turning the wheel did nothing. I had a choice of trying to grind the fender of my new car off on the medial strip, or taking out the 55gal drums narrowing the lane. I opted for the drums and inched over onto unslicked snow or sleet, and luckily didn't have to mess up my car, because the cars ahead got moving.

Give me BIG brakes, and Good tires, and I'll take my chances, AND I Like to be able to Lock the wheels When I want to.)) We can debate whether hard pads against metal rotors that generate gas, will stop a car faster than 3-5K lbs pushing down or rubber tires grinding against asphalt or concrete. Since I keep reading that Non ABS cars will stop shorter, I think grinding rubber is better. Being able to steer while braking doesn't sound like much advantage when rollovers are higher with ABS, and with non ABS you can choose.

VF

Reply to
houndman

And how was that statistic qualified ??

It can also be said that more cars with 4 wheels rollover that those with 3 wheels. Even though 3 wheels would appear to be more unstable.

Reply to
Bugalugs

LOL..why, you want to avoid me on the road??

I live in Philly, and debating whether to fill the hollow spaces behind the bumper covers so the Sube doesn't get torn up bumpers and busted tail lights like other cars, including my old Chevy, because people can't judge when pulling out of parallel parking spots. Got into an argument with a guy I know who said, You Have to hit the bumpers, when I commented how many times his must have been hit, because of all the missing paint on his rear bumpers, so I Guess He stops After he hits them also. I try to avoid all contact, and most people drive automatics. No wonder I want a 5M. I guess that was the motivation to build a car that Parks Itself. Today's cars are SO good they need Avoidance Radar. Night Vision I can see, so you don't hit deer or moose in the dark, but Avoidance Radar?? A breathilizer ignition switch should be First on the list of features.

VF

Reply to
houndman

Where do you live?

Reply to
David

I think you might be happier with a Honda.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

No, not having it puts more emphasis on driver skill, resulting in slower overall speeds.

If nobody has it, everybody goes slower.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

Handling, especially drifting. Not to mention that a high powered car squats onto the rear wheels during acceleration. You also notice that AWD is banned by some sanctioning bodies.

I'm all for serious harnesses, but it's hard to reach the cupholder without an inertial lock.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

don't drink & drive.)) I like keeping my eyes on the road and my hands on the wheel. When I'm driving, I'm driving

I plan to leave the 3 point belts for neighborhood driving. One concern is, like when a friend fell asleep at the wheel, and ran into a medial strip that was across the roadway, to funnel traffic to the other side of the road during construction . It was like he hit a wall at speed. He wasn't wearing any belts, and said he might be dead or more seriously injured than he was, because he said the steering wheel wound up in the back seat. He slid under the dash and busted up both knees.

I'm lookig at cam lock harneses, which should be easy to unlock and lean over, if something is headed for my head or mouth, like a sip of something.

Called Ins co today for premiums, and thay asked if the car had ABS and air bags. Yes.. & Yes..)) Odd that they want you to have them but they Claim they don't help. Oh, well...

VF

VF

Reply to
houndman

LOL.. Renault Le Car's squat when accelerating. More the Front Lifts. That taught me about the traction of FWD cars, and accelerating from a stop when I saw it, especially with slick surfaces.

Yea, Idealy I guess I'd want the rear wheels only driven for acceleration, All driven for conering, and the fronts only for cruising, and all wheels for passing. I'll have a test bed to try it on.))

VF

Reply to
houndman

and I thought Restrictor Plates were what lowerd the speeds. Learn something new every day.) ) )

VF

Reply to
houndman