Broken CD player/ instructions how to remove

Hi all, I am so glad I found this group. I have a 1999 Subaru Legacy with a factory cd player. The cd player will accept the cds but it does not recognize the cd, the cds will not play. I can not afford to have the cd player serviced and I would like and try to work in it myself before replacing it with something else. How do you remove the cd player from the dash? What should I do once the player is removed?

thanks for your help

Reply to
Chrawa

The problem may be as simple as dust on the laser lens. You might be able to clean it without removing the player - try to look into the CD slot and find a tiny round lens - only 1/4" or less in diameter. If you can see it, clean it with a small brush and try again. If it still doesn't work, it will need to be repaired by an expert - and it probably will not be worth repairing.

Dave

Reply to
Coggo

I had that problem in my 98 OBW a year ago. Running a cleaning CD through did not help. While it is fairly easy to remove the unit and take the covers off, getting to the CD components was impossible without special tools and I didn't think spares for just the CD parts would be easily available to a DIYer. The easiest and cheapest thing to do is replace the whole stereo. You can get a used OEM deck on Ebay for $50- $100. An exact replacement with the single CD player should be near the low end of the range as most people want the changers. I "upgraded" to the WRX unit that has a 6-CD changer, but it doesn't have a clock function. I really miss that clock.

I don't know what the differences are between 98 and 99 interiors so I won't venture to give removal instructions.

Reply to
BobN

Removing the radio/cd player involves first removing the cup holder. Then drop down to the ash tray. There are 2 screws hidden in there that have to come out. Although I have pulled several of these radios those 2 steps are all I can recall. Whatever remains most be pretty obvious. Upgrading to a double din radio/CD player from a WRX or Outback isn't a bad thing. The better system is a plug and play Can't get easier than that.

Reply to
johninKY

Before you get too involved, try a hard reset, in other words, disconnect the negative battery terminal for a minute and then re-connect. I have seen this very set of symptoms on the OEM stereos, and as often as not the "reset" will get it goin' again. If not, the odds of you being able to repair the player aren't real good, about all you can reasonably do is try cleaning the lens as someone mentioned. Either replace the defective player with an aftermarket head, or shop ebay for one of the Subaru 6 disk changers as found in the WRX and others. These are nice units, and can frequently be had for ~$100. Should plug right into your cars harness as well.

ByeBye! S. Steve Jernigan KG0MB Laboratory Manager Microelectronics Research University of Colorado (719) 262-3101

BadWagn

If you haven't bought the radio yet, try:

You'll probably pay a buck or two more than absolute lowest 'net price for a given radio, but the instructions and support they provide is superb!

I've purchased two stereos from them. Both radios included a 12-15 page VEHICLE SPECIFIC installation booklet that detailed everything from building wiring harnesses to how to disassemble and reassemble the dash ans speaker enclosures, including many pictures of the job AND the tools!

My Jeep Wrangler would have taken me a long time to figure the disassembly out myself, and I probably would have broken some plastic fittings. Not only did their booklet save me an incredible amount of time, but they included a wiring harness and faceplate adapter with the $99 CD player.

Reply to
B a r r y