Broken sunroof 2004 Outback

A rock chip caused the driver sunroof to break on my 2004 Outback after 2K miles. Looking at how the roof rises vertically, I think that this will happen over and over on the rocky Montana winter highways. Anybody else suffered a broken sunroof? For over a month now my car sits in the dealer's waiting for the new sunroof. Incedentally, a full size spare tire will not fit in the Outback. Be warned.

Reply to
Ron Russell

According to Ron Russell :

The odd rock chip is far more likely to hit the wind screen, don't you think, looking at how that one rises vertically?

My previous (MY'00) and my current model Outback (MY'05 in the US, MY'04 in AU and the rest of the world) both had/have a full size spare. So, it *will* fit.

Cheers Steffen.

Reply to
Steffen Kluge

I asked the salesman to show me both cars, back in August and I learned from him that the Outback has that disadvantage, the full-sized spare will NOT fit. He was the most knowledgeable car salesman I'd ever dealt with, so I had no reason to doubt him. (plus, I looked in the spare compartment and it didn't seem like a larger tire would go there!) That was one reason I bought the 04 Forester. I am curious about your '05.... Didn't know they were out yet.

Reply to
GTT

According to GTT :

Well, then they must make them different in the US.

The came out in Australia in September, in Europe a bit earlier I think.

Cheers Steffen.

Reply to
Steffen Kluge

If you have a real concern, you may be able to purchase windows film that can be applied to the sunroof to prevent these chips. Windows films come with all kinds of purposes, UV reduction, heat reduction, security. If you applied something thick enough, it may help absorb these stone.

Regardless of that, it must have been a nasty stone to cause it to crack, that glass is tempered and very hard.

Chris

Reply to
Alpha Male

The USA is usually one of that last places Subaru releases their cars.

Go to subaru.com.au for details of new released models.

Steffen Kluge wrote:

Reply to
Benleigh Bob