Broken Tie Rod '99 OBW

I have yet to pick up the car from the mechanic but yesterday I heard and felt a loud snap as I exited a steep driveway (but going slowly and carefully). Broken tie rod. I have 105k on the car, just did the oil leak fix along with timing belt, water pump et al a few weeks ago. What's next??

Anyway, I poked around the archives and have not seen anyone have this problem on a legacy of any year. The mechanic said he's never seen this happen before with no obvious precipitating factor (like running over a boulder or something). My first thought was defective tie rod but if there's no history on this problem, maybe it was just me.

--Mike

Reply to
Mike Cook

Just picked up the OBW and it was a broken stabilizer bar. Clean break right near the wheel. Fortunately it was an easy fix. But still don't know why it should break for no apparent reason.

If you live in Boulder CO it is the west drive exiting from the gas station on 30th and Arapaho. If you've visited that gas station, you probably already know which one I mean. It is pretty extreme, but I WAS going very slow.

Reply to
Mike Cook

IIRC that IS a known issue (though still uncommon). Try searching the archives at

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Mike Cook wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I also recall it being a known issue.

Reply to
Alan

I was doing some easy gravel road, and passing diagonaly a small deep, i heard the same ugly snap! DAMMM!! it`s broken! the bar broke close to the attachment on the chassis. I live down in Monterrey,Mexico. So, there`s no subaru mechanics around, but i took it to a suspension expert, and he says is not a problem to drive it while i find the new bar. Could you give me and idea on, how much did pay for the bar? and where did you get it? I will apreciate any info! Thanks

Reply to
ramono