Burned 2 ignitors 2.2 Legacy 1991

I posted this on the Ultimate Subaru Message Board as well, sorry to repeat myself to anyone.

I Have a 91 Subaru Lagacy wagon w/ AWD, ABS, automatic transmission,

2.2 litre engine sitting in my driveway waiting for me to fix it. It died 2 years ago the morning after a long trip. My wife said it was running rough towards the end of the trip in local traffic. The next morning, it started for a second, then stalled and has not started since. it has 180k of mostly Highway miles and was running well. The timing chain was replaced a few months before it's demise. I checked compression which seemed good. Turned out that the Ignition transistor was not firing one side of the spark coil. For $50. I got a good used xistor, popped it in and cranked it.

No start. The new trasistor got immediately toasted. I have been staring at this Subaru for the last 9 months wondering if it is worth trying to replace the coil and the Xistor (perhaps the computer too?) The Coil reads about an ohm from the center tap to each of the lead ends and infinity to the spark plug leads. I am GUESSING that HV spark is leaking back to the xistor somehow. Any thoughts on this?

I live on long Island and would consider selling this vehicle for a few hundred bucks to someone who wants to fix it or use it for a parts car. The ABS system looked shiny as if it was replaced not long before we bought the car and put our 20k miles on it.

I have to clear the driveway within a couple of weeks, but, this was such a great car, I hate to sell it for scrap.

Reply to
DTL