buying a brand new subaru

I plan to buy a brand new car in 1 to 2 months. A neighbor told me to do research on Internet and then do to the dealer and ask to talk with the fleet manager and tell what I want and be done with it.

I prefer to spend time researching on Internet instead of listening to the sale people but I am very uneducated about buying a new car. All the car I bought were used ones and this friend or that friend (whoever was availablre) helped me out each time.

Now, I am in a new city with no friends and also I want to have the experience buying one with my own knowledge. I would appreciate if I can get some guidance here.

I want a 4-door Sedan (prefer 2006 over 2005) with the following:

(0) My price range must be between 15,000 - 23,000 for total expense involed in bring the car home, exclusing getting the car insurance. (1) Basic when it comes to engine, i.e no high performance that will cost extra but I do orefer a car that can speed up easily when it needs to; automatic transmission; front wheel drive unless 4 wheel drive is not to much more expensive. (2) Wants electrically-controlled windows; (3) Car seat that has heater built-in (sorry for not knowing the correct term); remove this feature if it's over my price range (4) Separate A/C and heater controlled for driver and front seat passengers; willing to remove this feature if the price goes over my price range (5) Only mandatory air bags.

Reply to
amanda992004

Thats easy. LEGACY 2.5I SEDAN Starting at $21,295*

Reply to
philjackson

I like

and there are others too. You could also go to your local public library and get the April (hmmm - might still be at the newstand) issue of Consumer Reports as well as the 2004 Buyer's Guide.

Carl

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

  1. Read the entire April issue of Consumer Reports and follow their suggested approach..
  2. Spend a lot of time at
    to get all the datathat you need.
  3. Go to a dealer to test drive and carefully look over the product and leave without talking about price. (This is to help you decide exactly what you want).
    and determine the dealer cost(less incentives) for exactly what your want, print it out.
  5. Now you are ready to go back to at least two dealers and follow the Consumer Reports approach to price negotiations. If a dealer won't negotiate up from dealer cost less incentives, walk out and go to another dealer.

Woody; 95FXDS

Reply to
Woody

I always do a clean deal, i.e. car only. No trade in, no dealer financing, no dealer extras and no warranty. All these extras complicate things. Remember - you only buy one car at a time and they do this every day. Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

(whoever

Visit edmunds.com and read everything you can on how to buy a car. If you go in to the dealer talking the way you are now, he will spot you as an easy mark.

Couple of definites: You should be able to pay roughly $2000 below sticker for almost any car in your range. Try to arrange your own financing in advance, This ia anarea where they can confuse the heck out of you, especially if they talk you into a lease.

Reply to
Alan

Unfortunately, I get blank screens or JavaScript errors when I try to use this site. When I ask for a quote off of the front page, I get a blank HTML screen. When I try to dig down, it asks me for my zip code, and then refuses to take my zip code or any other legitimate 5-digit zip code in the U.S. I think it uses complex JavaScripts that choke if you have a good web proxy or firewall that filters out dangerous/nosy scripts from web sites.

I guess I'll get my information elsewhere. :)

-- Catherine Hampton Home Page * The SpamBouncer *

(Please use this address for replies -- the address in my header is a spam trap.)

Reply to
Catherine Hampton

I went to consummer reports and paid for a price quote for the exact car I wanted (I think it cost about $12). Went to the dealer and test drove the nearest thing on thier lot. They then quoted me "dealer cost" plus $800. I took out the CR quote which showed true dealer cost and told them that plus $800. They said "yes". Total time: 5 minutes.

I told them I'd pick the car up at 5pm and I went shopping with the wife. That was the only stressful part, I wanted to be shopping in my new Sti !

My only advice: Don't get so hooked on that one car on the lot that you are not willing to walk out of the dealer if you don't get a good price. As soon as you're hooked, you're toast.

They need you much worse than you need them. You are in TOTAL control!!!

Philip

Reply to
Philip Procter

I just bought my 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5XT from

No hassle and you don't have to talk to a salesman.

Chris Werner

Reply to
Chris Werner

What was the difference between the two "dealer costs"?

Reply to
Jim Stewart

  • I own an '01 Subaru Outback wagon and an '05 Prius.

I would get a Prius, which gets about 48 MPG compared to the Subaru

24 MPG.

earle

*
Reply to
Earle Jones

Or you could get a security setup that wasn't designed by Procrustes. :P

Reply to
Guy Macon

Hey Guy, don't I know you from comp.arch.embedded?

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Yup. Engineers love Subarus! I have two 1885 wagons that are just starting to get broken in a 200,000 miles...

(To elaborate on the Procrustes comment, Procrustes made every visitor, short or tall, fit the same bed, either by stretching them on a rack or by chopping off their feet. The firewall that Catherine describes treats every JavaScript the same, whether it's the Evil JavaSript at [ members.chello.at/reini/crashme.htm ] or at [

] or whether it's the Good JavaScript at [
] or at [
]. A proper securitysystem allows you to assign different levels of security to different webpages.)

Reply to
Guy Macon