Buying Car Out of State

I live in NY and want to buy a new Forester from a dealer in Massachusetts (Since that is the only dealer with the car I want.) The dealer insists that he needs to bring the car to NY and have one his NY-licensed salesmen sign the papers at the DMV. It seems that I should be able to buy the car in MA, use my old plates to drive the car to NY and then register it myself at the DMV.

Has anyone else from NY been though this before?

-- Vic Roberts Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.

Reply to
Victor Roberts

I bought my first Forester here in DE but dealer got car from PA. Whatever happened was transparent to me. Maybe you should just buy through your local NY dealer and let him worry about the details. Frank

Reply to
Frank

That's what I've done before, but now that I found the car myself at the out of state dealer (thanks to the magic of the Web) he says he would not transfer the car to another dealer since he is set up to sell to NY residents himself.

-- Vic Roberts Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.

Reply to
Victor Roberts

I guess state laws vary. Dealers here do all the registration and tax work, give you a temporary tag and you go back to him in a week or so to get permanent plates. For $100, I got a 5 year registration and can skip the DMV which is a pita no matter where you live ;)

Frank

Reply to
Frank

I live in a small town in upstate NY, between Albany and Saratoga Springs. We have a DMV office a few miles away in the town of Ballston Spa. Like more small town institutions, it is not a hassle to work with. I have a boat and utility trailer. I've had to go to the DMV a number of times and the lines are short and the people very pleasant.

-- Vic Roberts Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.

Reply to
Victor Roberts

I live in Illinois, but I bought my Subaru in Wisconsin. I paid cash for the car, and then drove it home with the Wisconsin temporary plates that the dealer gave me. After I got home, I went to the local license and title place and applied for an Illinois title and paid all of the registration/title fees plus Illinois tax. This info may not be helpful though. Illinois is a very easy state to own an automobile in. Here there are no inspections or pollution standards. If the car can move on it's own, you can drive it in Illinois.

Jimbo

Reply to
JimboJumbo

Thanks. I just returned from MA where I test drive the car and put down a deposit. They will drive the car to a DMV right over the state line on Wednesday where I will pay the sales tax and registration fee and then I will have a new Forester.

-- Vic Roberts Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.

Reply to
Victor Roberts

Depends on where you live in Illinois. I live in CHicago, which is one of the most difficult places to own a car. We're subject to auto emissions testing and parallel state/city car registration and permitting. Wouldn't even dream of attempting to do an interstate purchase.

Reply to
lkreh