Buying tires online?

Anyone bought tires online from tirerack.com? Thinking of getting some because it's a lot cheaper than having discount tire get them. Any comments?

Reply to
Patrick F. Clarin

Edward Hayes

I've done that twice, but won't do it again now that I've learned that, say, your local Firestone dealer to order whatever tire you'd like and match the prices from tirerack.com, and give you the benefit of free rotations and balancing, and one stop shopping for gripes about the tires rather than fingerpointing that may happen with a warranty issue.

I could've gotten my recent set of Kumho's direct from Firestone with

1 day turn around for the same price and gotten the benefit of free lifetime rotations/balancing, which I don't enjoy now because I didn't buy from them.

Something to think about. Great review database though at tirerack.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Hi,

JMO, but "cheaper" isn't, always! I've looked at tirerack's prices, then figured the price to have the tires installed locally, looked at shipping times, making an appointment to have them installed (my closest installation center is always booked several days to a week ahead), etc. Then I've wondered what happens if there's a warranty issue as so many others mention any time (frequently if you haunt several auto forums) this subject comes up, and figured the few extra dollars to my local tire dealer is a bargain.

The service my tire guy has given me far exceeds any dollar difference between his prices and tirerack's, but YMMV.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

My experience with tirerack was 100% positive. I bought 4 Kumho tires for my Outback based on the reviews and other information on their site. I had them dropped shipped to the installer in my area that had the best reviews on their site. The price was better than anything "local". The installer worked by appointment. I arrived and they immediately took me and installed the tires which took about an hour. Can't comment on warranty issues though.

Reply to
Don

first print out the tires/prices you're going to buy online.

then walk into the local shop and see if they will match.

if not buy online. remember you will still have mount and balance fees vs. tax.

ken

Reply to
Ken Gilbert

Online tires - better price but no road hazard warranty. Sidewall damage on a tire will cost you. I had good experience with tirerack but I won't order online ever again after ballooning a sidewall on one of the tires (yoko avs sports) Road hazard warranty is the only way to go.

Reply to
Rat

And here's what this tirerack customer didn't know: you don't even need to pay any more at the local dealer! Just get them to order the tires you want, and they'll match the tirerack prices. You're out salestax, but you save shipping. Presto!

Especially when/if there isn't a difference if you get them to price match. Often it's as simple as asking.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

I got those same tires from tirerack.com installed locally at an authorized installer that was also a tire seller. When I inquired about balancing/rotation service they said it wasn't available from them without per-rotation fees. They offer that only on tires they themselves sold.

Then, I was told that I could've purchased those same tires directly from them and they'd have matched the price I paid, and had they could've had them there on 1 day's notice (rather than 3) even though they don't stock Kumho's.

I had a good experience, mind you, but next time I'll have an even better experience and have lifetime rotation/balance at my disposal.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

You can get a road hazard warranty on any tires you buy from tirerack. It's not that new an offering, either. It costs more, but it's extra at a brick-and-mortar store too.

I've ordered a couple things from tirerack (2 sets of wheels, 2 sets of tires, 1 "replacement" tire), and have been very happy. But, it really is a better deal overall to buy tires at your local place, because, as mentioned before, most places offer free tire repair (not a road hazard warranty, per se, but free plugs), free rotation, and free balancing for the life of the tire. The balancing you won't have to pay for at the shop makes up for the cheaper price from Tirerack, usually.

Having said that, for more "exotic" tires, TireRack savings can be substantial, to the point that it's worth having to get them mounted elsewhere.

And for wheel + tire packages, I'd definitely use Tirerack again, since they mount/balance for free and have good prices on rims, it's usually a substantial savings, as long as you don't mind rotating on your own dime (or elbow grease)

Reply to
Patrick Fisher

Yeah, I've bought tires from TireRack a couple of times and had very good results.

Two things - One is that the TireRack people know *much* more about the tires I was interested in than the local tire salespersons. Plus their reviews and tests are more objective than the local salesmen by far.

Second thing - while some dealers may be willing to match TireRack's prices, the local dealers often don't carry particular tires that may be the best rated for your car and driving styles. Either because they don't stock them, or because there may not be a dealer for a particular tire in your area.

But I like to reward the Rack with my business in return for being the *only* reliable source for accurate info in comparing tires from all different brands, and for giving very good advice on particular tires that fit your particular preferences and needs. Again, the local tire dealers I've used over many many years of driving have generally given very poor advise in comparison (other than to advise buying whatever they had in stock or advise getting only their brand of tire - understandable but not best for the consumer).

No - I'm not connected with the TireRack in any way ;-)

Hank Murdoch

Reply to
H MURDOCH