By Forester to Cape York

About 9 months ago I asked whether anyone knew if it was possible to get to the top of Cape York (northernmost point of the Australian mainland) by Forester. No-one knew, but a couple of people expressed interest in the same question - so I would just like to assure the band of faithful australian Forester fans that the answer is yes, you can get to the tip of Cape York in the trusty Forester.

But it is not an easy trip. The roads on Cape York at the present time are acknowledged by those who have travelled all over Australia as being the worst in the country, and one person I met, who had driven extensively overseas, claimed they were the worst in the world. (and I believe him). The absolute concentration required to do the 1500 kms of corrugations, sand, gouged out ruts, washed out tracks and eroded river crossings made it very difficult to really enjoy the savannah and rainforest scenery, the magnificent beaches, the absolute isolation, the insight into Aboriginal culture, the relics of colonial history and white settlement and remnants of war that are scattered at various places on the peninsula. My average speed over those 1500 kms was only about 25 kph, which gives you an idea of the roughness of the road.

If you're planning a trip up there, ensure you have a metal sump guard, put in a fixed UHF radio (handhelds don't have the range necessary to maintain reliable car to car communication), and carry 2 spare wheels and at least one inner tube. If you using the standard Dueller HT, or Geolander tyres ensure that they have done no more than 15000 km, otherwise the stones will just rip right through the treads. (I did two tyres, and had to wait for 5 days at the top for replacements to be delivered by boat - and the damage was not due to speed)

If anyone wants more complete information, drop me an e-mail (just remove the number from the address), I'll be happy to help you out.

Roger

Reply to
Roger

Was that a new 2.5 ltr version or the oldie?

Have spent some time up that way at Bamaga and around Lakeland Downs and would have thought that some of the rivers may have been too deep.

Cheers.

-- Pete D Buz & Pyro Video Editing

Reply by removing the dead dog from my address.

Reply to
Pète Ð

Hi Roger,

were you towing an offroad trailer, or carrying a rack mounted basket, or self contained?

I'd love to do such a trip in my Limited, but the carrying of the equipment is the concern I have....

Reply to
Andrew Morris

Reply to
powertrain

My Subbie is the base 2001 model - only modifications are the metal sumpguard, the UHF CB radio and a second battery under the bonnet (in the space where the ABS brake mechanism would go if mine had ABS brakes). This battery runs my Waeco CF40 car fridge which was fantastic.

Some of the rivers were too deep. WE went up through Mareeba, Daintree, Cape Tribulation, Bloomfield track, Cooktown, Lakefield National Park, (Old Laura, Hann River), Musgrave, Chili Beach, Portland Roads, Frenchman's track to the Pascoe river, (too deep and to rough), back to Peninsula Dev Road, Moreton, first river crossing on Old Telegraph Line (OTL) (unable to cross - water too deep), back and up the southern Bypass, down to Sailors Creek campsite, Fruitbat Falls, first river crossing on OTL toward twin fall (again too deep), back to northern Bypass road, in the exit road from Twin falls (blew the second spare so returned to the bypass), Jardine River, Bamaga, Seisia, Loyalty Beach, The Tip, Punsand Beach, Somerset, Thursday Island (boat trip), down the Bypass roads, Moreton, Batavia Downs to Suddley shortcut (dreadful road), Weipa, Coen, Laura, Lakelands, Mareeba - (19 days in all)

The total trip, home to home, 9850 kms (in 5 weeks)

Got bogged in sand once - my fault, we camped on the river bed at Archer River crossing, very deep sand, and she just sank once I stopped moving. However, was able to drive out without help once I lowered the pressures down to 20 psi all round. There would be at least 100 kms of sand roads on the way, but the subbie handled all that beautifully.

You can avoid the water depth problem by going at the end of the dry (Sept/Oct) rather than Jul/Aug as I did.

The subbie generated great interest, everywhere I went people seemed fascinated with the thought that I was taking it to the top. Some seemed threatened by the thought and were really rude about it, others were very helpful and positive.

Roger

Reply to
Roger

Hi Andrew

I was fully self contained - see other postings for a fuller account of the trip. The picture of subbie at Weipa shows you the stuff stored in the back of the car. I borrowed a handwinch from a mate, bought an extension strap, tree protector and appropriate "D" shackles ($120.00 all up)(Don't buy these from a 4wd shop - get the straps from REPCO and the shackles from a tool supplier.) Rescue gear fits under the drivers seat.

I removed the back seat squab and the small half of the back of the back seat so that all the camp gear, clothes, etc would fit. The second spare wheel sits behind the drivers seat in the spot where the rear seat would be. I use three plastic Namco drawers to store food and plates, etc, and carried a butane gas stove ($39.95 from Woolies) and 16 cans of butane, plus a Coleman single burner duel fuel stove. 30 litres of water (20 + 10) goes behind the passenger seat, and 10 litres of fuel fit in the back.

Sleeping bags and self inflating mattressses go on top of the second spare tyre, as do clothes bags. 2 x fold up chairs go on top of drawers and the fridge, and the tent and the folding table go behind the drawers and the fridge.

I also have a second battery (40AH) fitted under the bonnet, in the spot where the ABS brake pressuriser would be if my model had ABS brakes. This runs my car fridge (Waeco CF 40)which proved to be indispensable - its really hot on the Cape!

I guess what I'm saying is you CAN fit it all in, without a trailer, or a roof rack. I wouldn't take a trailer up there!

Roger

Reply to
Roger

Sounds like an awesome trip Roger...

Will maybe tackle the road from Adelaide to Darwin first, as my partner is keen to travel through the centre before we do the cape....

Did you carry extra fuel? Where did you carry your second spare wheel?

Curiosity...

Cheers,

Reply to
Andrew Morris

Hi Andrew

I always carry 10 litres of fuel when camping outback -it fits neatly between the passenger side rear wheel arch and the back, tucked against the wall. Its held in place by the drawers. The extra spare wheel lies flat behind the drivers seat. I take out the rear seat to enable this.

The trip from Adelaide to Darwin would be a great warm up - the Strezlecki track up from Arkaroola around to Cameron's Corner was fine a couple of years ago, but I believe can be corrogated, I've not done the road to Darwin or the Centre yet, saving that for next year!!

Roger

Reply to
Roger