Cabin air filter?

I've seen mention of a 'cabin air filter' for some models of Subaru. Evidently this (if present) is up behind the glove box. On my 02 LLBeam Outback Wagon, I can see a piece of open cell foam up there, but nothing like the paper filter elements I see for sale on eBay and elsewhere for that location. How do I tell if my vehicle has one, or how do I get to it to check/replace it, if there is one? Is that the open cell foam I'm seeing over the top of the open glove box? Or is that something else? Thanks.

Reply to
Jack Countryman

Normally there will be a sticker telling there has been a cabin air filter installed near the door strike of the drivers door. The other way is remove the glove box, 9 screws on my 2005 Forester, and the filter will be right above the fan. If not there it can be added on your 2002. You won't see it unless you remove the glove box, it will be behind it. The plate is marked.

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom

The filter is in the space between the blower fan and the evaporator housing.

You have to remove the glove compartment so you can remove the lid that allows the filter to be pulled out.

There is normally a sticker telling that the filter was installed or replaced. A few months I replaced the one in the 2003 wife's Outback and there was barely any dirt on it. We are in south FL and we normally keep the windows closed with the recirculation on.

Good luck!

Jack Countryman wrote:

Reply to
AS

There may be installation info at

for this. The OEM replacement is pricey - either order form a discount dealer (got my first ones from
or make your own replacements from home HVAC filters.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I've installed the air filter on my OBS a month or so ago and it came without a sticker. The previous filter however DID come with a sticker. Needless to say, the only way to tell is to remove the countless screws and pull the glovebox out to tell if there is one or not especially if the OP has no clue how much time the old filter spent in there. For $54 I have to ponder if I should follow Carl's advice and make my own next time :(

Reply to
isquat

I took mine ('03 Forester) out and washed it. $50 or so price is outreageous. You will need diagram to access filter as it takes 9-12 screws removed. My '98 had easier access to filter which was under glove compartment. Do not know what year swithc was made.

Frank

Reply to
Frank

I didn't find anything on this at the web sites you mention... Does anyone know where I can find pictures or clear descriptions of how to find this filter once the glove box is out (I didn't see any filter in there other than some soft open cell foam up under the dash)?

Reply to
Jack Countryman

Carl 1 Lucky Texan