Cable routing direct from battery to rear of 2001 H6 Outback...

I have a 2001 H6 Outback Wagon and have over time pulled various panels off and replaced them aftewr running wiring for DVD players, Rear view camera etc.. All no problem, however I want to install my Amateur Radio Icom IC 7000 in the rear of the wagon, close to the HF antenna, all the other wiring no problems however I have to run the power cables DIRECT to the battery, [ 2 fuses at battery, both cables ] and I can get the heavy duty cable routed from the rear up to the front of the front doors along in the sill gully, but further... a task.... In the engine bay, there are a number of wires, near the battery, that go into a hole that goes to the rear, the rear washer hose goes there too, and looking in the passengers side front cabin area i see again the washer hose, feeding stiff wire into the hole i can hear it tap against the frame of the door opening, but HOW to get that cable less than a metre to the door sill has me stumped. I wish I had a wreaker near by so i could look at a smashed Outback but they dont stay in the yard for lonf here in Oz..

Any help, ideas, or alternate suggestions would be greatly appreciated..

cheers from down under...

Reply to
OzSubbie

I think I'd use the rear washer hose. Secure a wire or two to it and pull it though the hole. If you pull an extra wire with it, you can use it to pull the washer hose back.

Reply to
Bob Noble

If I understand your problem and you are wondering how to get through the fire wall, here is what I did for an audio amp that connected directly to the battery. This was on a Forester, but should work for you too.

On the passenger side of the fire wall is an air conditioning condensation drip tube that runs from the inside of the car to the outside through the fire wall, and is protected by a rubber gourmet. I was able to pass an 8 gauge power wire between the drip hose and the gourmet fairly easily. Look along the fire wall under the car for a hose that doesn't connect to anything and that should be it.

Reply to
mrputler

Hey guys, thans for the advise, Yeap, tried the washer hose trick this arvo, no luck, it does not want to readily slide along and being here on my own, did not have assistance with gently pulling it whilst the other end can be felt if it was being pulled, and I feared, if i broke it, i would be in the poo.

And as for the Forester aircon drip hose idea, well I will look at that tomorrow afternoon now, bit dark, very wet, and cold, tonight to go have a peep. am tempted to rug up and have a look, 'cause I wanted this all done and the car 'reassembled' before I go pick the kids up for the weekend..

the responce has been GREAT only just discovered this site and yeah, really good..

goodnight from the Blue Mountains of NSW Australia...

Reply to
OzSubbie

You should be able to run the power cables thru the firewall by poking them thru a rubber boot somewhere; try the boot around the steering column, or perhaps where the heater hoses come thru. Find a spot that is reachable from the inside, usually the engine side isn't as bad.

A more elegant solution might be to install a modest sized gell-cell battery (or even one of the huge hybrid electrolytic capacitors the high power stereo guys use) in the back next to the radio, with charging current coming from the accessory power circuit that is already there. This will provide for the large surge currents necessary without having to get 2 #6 wires up to the front. But . . .

HF can be a lot more troublesome as regards grounding, than a typical UHF/VHF installation. Mobile HF antennas are _always_ short, and radiation efficiency suffers as a result. Failing to provide a very low Z RF ground for the antenna makes things much worse.

To keep the RF happy, run a length of heavy braid from the transceiver grounding terminal to where ever you mount the antenna. If you are using one of the popular "ball" mounts, connect the braid to the mounts hardware where it penetrates the body. If you are using a bumper mount, or mag-mount of some sort, get the braid as electrically close to the base of the antenna as possible. Try the bumper mounting bolts, or (routing up thru the "D" pillar) one of the bolts that mount the luggage rack.

Mmmmm, I just re-read your posted question; I'm pretty sure the rear washer hose runs back along the left sill (in a LHD car anyway ;-). Disconnect it from the pump, and use it to pull a string thru into the passenger compartment. Use this string to pull your power cables (and the washer hose) back thru, but beware of cutting insulation on sharp edges. I'm pretty sure you can access the open area where the hose etc. runs by removing the appropriate kick panel, but prepare for bodily contortions. Removing the front seats will probably help.

73 DE KG0MB

Thank you Steve for your effort in reply, much appreciated, many ideas to ponder, Again the rain is pouring heavy outside so I have had to abandon the idea of working on the car. The garage on this rented property is smallish, and to try to open the doors all the way to work on it, not good, so I will now wait till Saturday, weather permitting, AND I will be blessed with having my children, whom can help me too.

The HF antenna is the Terlin Outbacker OB8 and its base I am using, and certainly aware of the grounding requirements, all the doors have been earth bonded with braid as well as the bonnet and tailgate. You guys dont call it a bonnet I just realised, mmm

The power cable and 2m antenna lead is already running, nicely stowed away, and the car mostly reassembled, along the LHS rail sill, good abount of space, and its now rolled up on the passengers side floor awaiting the final step. Still want to go direct to the battery at this stage however if no go, look at plan B of your notes.

Looking under the dash, near the steering column, well its just jam packed with wires,looms, hoses, etc, and there is not any real room to get even to the pass throughts, yet to se one there, and the engine side there is covered in all manner of apparatus...guess i am lucky i dont have to put it all back together to go to work, my official works car sits in the driveway for that, but I cant use it for private / weekend use. Will let you know how it all turns out

AGAIN I cant beleive the great responce from all you guys...

buy you guys a drink, ha!

regards

73 VK2HVA Val
Reply to
OzSubbie

replying to OzSubbie, jason wrote: Well where are the drinks - been waiting a bit

Reply to
jason