camry or subaru?

True, but we've pretty much "accepted" certain risks with existing automotive technology. OTOH, with personal injury and product liability law being what they are in the US, I can see a flock of lawyers sitting like buzzards waiting for their first "carcass" to try to make a buck on a "new" technology!

And being in California, I can only imagine the traffic jam as who knows how many agencies step on each other's toes trying to figure what to do when the battery leaks something on the ground... ;)

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

GREAT CAR, my in-laws have one.

Can you actually get one for a reasonable price, in a reasonable amount of time? The in-laws waited many months.

Barry

Reply to
Bonehenge

Here in SoCal the waiting lists are getting longer and the prices are going up... where are the in-laws?

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Connecticut

Reply to
Bonehenge

The Camry has a (well deserved) reputation as a "sales reps" car. Reliable, economical - just the thing you want for a rep. When they do break, the labour for fixing the (4cyl) Camrys is a lot less than the subie. Access to the engine is a lot easier - price up doing a clutch for example. The 4wd of the subie adds greatly to the cost and complexity. OTOH, the Subies generally handle better, and 4wd is nice to have when you need it. Around here, the Subies are the number 1 most stolen car, especially the WRX and turbo wagons. Might be worth checking the insurance costs on each. The Subie will be a lot more fun, but the Camry is the accountant's choice.

Reply to
geoff_m

My ex-bf has a Subaru legacy (4WD; performance car, he said). That's when I realized that I would love such a car but I can't afford it and also in this city, getting parts would be a pain. So sadly for me, Camry is the choice.

Reply to
amanda992004

  • Prius is a better choice than either Camry or Subaru.

Take a look before you decide.

Here is a note I posted in the Yahoo Prius-2G mailing list:

*** I took delivery of my '05 Prius in January. Since then, I have filled the tank 20 times and have covered 7,090.8 miles, using 145.637 gallons of gas.

Average MPG = 48.7 (I would estimate about 60 % highway and 40% city driving.) Displayed MPG average = 49.2 MPG or a difference of about one percent.

Total cost of fuel = $340.41 or an average of $2.33 per gallon. Lowest fuel cost = $1.799 (in January); Highest fuel cost = $2.999 in May.

The best mileage recorded (on one tank of gas) was 58.9 MPG and the lowest was 43.1 MPG.

About 2,000 of these miles were on a 12-day trip from home (San Francisco peninsula) to the Grand Canyon that included stops at Sequoia National Park (above 7,000 feet) and places like Monitor Pass and Carson Pass at about 8,000 feet.

I generally run about 42/40 psi in the tires.

I am extremely happy with everything about this car. I have had no problems at all. I have personally talked up its advantages to many friends and I suspect I have already been responsible for two or three sales.

I would guess that my experience, in both mileage/cost and in performance/happiness is about average for Prius owners.

***

earle

*
Reply to
Earle Jones

accountant's

Reply to
jabario

Hi,

Most people I've talked to who drive the Prius are, like you, rather pleased, but you mileage figures are far higher than they've told me about. Highest in my limited "survey" has been 44 mpg avg. But that's in SoCal--lots of traffic surely brings down the overall numbers. Still better than most, though.

Rick

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

I have read that city traffic can > Big deal!! VW diesels get 45mpg with auto trans and use proven

You may be right, and you may be wrong. Time will tell. Surely, there are problems to work out, such as the expense and toxin of the battery disposal. But some say this approach is the future. We won't know until we're there. ;-)

Tom

Reply to
Tom Reingold

Toyota also needs to get the distribution of these things straightened out. I have 2 relatives that have Pri-i (is that the plural?) and one of them only got his car delivered (quite late) after seeing it at a car show at the State fair! (he had the vin or or order nuumber or something to compare to the window sticker!). My MIL has to finally take a canceled check and a lawyer down to the dealership to get theirs - seems the dealership had no record of what the salesman had done. Still, I suppose those things could happen with any extremely popular vehicle.

I'll be more enthusiatic about hybrids when they come with an overnite

120AC top-up charger I can plug into my garage.

Oh, my MIL car got 50.5 MPG on a recnt trip to Arkansas. I do not know hoe fast they were going and I do not know if theused the A/C. My BIL's prius is from the first year and doesn't get as high a mileage as his Mom's - plus, when the A/C is on - his engine is running. I got 39 MPG once in a '78 Honda Civic driving mostly 80 MPH aross Wyoming. And nobody gave me a tax credit to buy it.

Carl

Tom Re>

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

All the major hybrids use NiMH battery packs along with a single regular lead-acid battery. NiMH batteries aren't terribly toxic - and are certainly safer than cadnium or lead-acid. While there are recycling facilities for NiMH batteries, I believe I can legally dump them in the trash.

Reply to
y_p_w

  • And the Prius battery (the traction battery) -- in fact the entire electric drive train including motors and generators -- is guaranteed for 150,000 miles or ten years.

earle

*
Reply to
Earle Jones

I like the Prius - a LOT! My in-laws have one, so I have plenty of first hand experience with the car.

However, you've got to remove the blinders regarding fuel mileage!

The Prius is currently selling way over sticker in many areas, and this is for a car that may not even arrive for 6-8 months. There are still some issues regarding battery replacement costs down the road.

A 4 cylinder Camry can be had for less, gets mid 30's fuel mileage, and has a higher payload and more room.

A Subaru is all-wheel drive. While the Prius is OK in snow, it ain't no Subaru in the winter. The Subaru will also carry far more cargo than the Prius, as well as tow ~2000 pounds.

Barry

Reply to
Bonehenge

Sorry to reply to myself, but I forgot something.

All-wheel drive is a major opportunity for hybrid technology in the future. All kinds of heavy equipment uses electric traction motors instead of mechanical drive trains. AFAIK, NASA space rovers also work this way.

Electric AWD could take advantage of an electric motor's maximum torque @ zero RPM trait, eliminate transfer cases, drive shafts, pumpkins, lockers, etc... by using one motor per wheel. Today's computers could easily replace differentials.

Think of the killer ground clearance and suspension articulation possible without U-joints, axles, and drive shafts!

Barry

Reply to
Bonehenge

I agree, plus the regenerative braking. I also have thought that 4 independent hydraulic motors at each wheel could work well. With 1 or more accumulators to recover some braking energy. I suppose we will see some interesting designs if oil continues going up. Seems demand is outpacing supply at present.(The Chinese recently replaced Japan as the number 2 consumer of crude oil.)

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

The limiting factor would be the extreme unsprung weight, very important for control at speed.

Why do people report the mileage they get when they take a long trip? That's the absolute best case scenario.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Reingold

Same reason they brag on their kids when they're all scrubbed up and behaving, but don't mention how they act most of the time?

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

I would think 4 fairly small motors (hydraulic or electric or?) that also did much of the braking (saving on brake weight) and were possibly incorporated into wheel structure, might be close to the unsprung weight we have nowadays. Or possibly some chain/belt drive could 'uncouple' them from the suspension. Additionally there would be a much lower CG I'd imagine. Though you're right, ride harshness could suffer. I dunno - seems doable. Probably be so radically different though it would be hard to sell. Especially since tire design/mounting might be uniquely different than on cars today. Too much support and infrastrucure for todays cars limits a lot of the directions for innovation. That's one reason hybrids may have a huge future - they use gasoline.

Carl

H wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan