Can aluminum alloy rims be heavier than steel? (2023 Update)

Well, the winter is starting to get deep here in Canada again. So as Canadians, a lot of us go in for our annual tradition of changing into winter tires. Usually our tires are already pre-inflated and mounted on winter steel rims (saves time and money, compared to remounting tires on the original factory rims). So part of the tradition involves lugging these heavy wheels from wherever you store them, into the trunk of the Subaru and then driving them to the tire changing place.

So when I was lugging the winter wheels vs. when I was lugging the summer wheels, I noticed there was a definitely noticeable difference in weight (determined through my own aching back, but not really using any official weight scales). And to my surprise, it seemed that the winter wheels were lighter, even though they were steel wheels! I had a much more difficult time lifting the summer alloy wheels.

Now assuming that the winter and summer tires are more or less equal in weight, and assuming that they both had more or less the same air pressure inside. I could only think of the rims as being the biggest contributor to the weight difference. I believe the factory rims for my Tribeca are aluminum alloy, whereas the winter rims are cheap black steel rims. Now why would the aluminum-based rims be heavier than the steel ones?

On a side note, I also find that the simple unstyled steel rims hold their air better than the alloy ones. I've measured the air pressure on these winter rims year after year, and they barely lose even 1 psi over several years, but the alloy rims require a reinflation almost on a monthly basis; they'll lose as much as 5 psi over a couple of months. So thank god for the tire pressure monitoring systems on these modern cars!

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

A styled alloy wheel can be heavier than a plain steel wheel, depending on the design. Steel weighs about 2.5 times as much as aluminum, so as long as the aluminum wheel is not, on average, more than 2.5 times as thick as the steel wheel, it will be lighter. So it comes down to how thick is the steel rim, and how chunky is the alloy rim. The 16 inch steel Fusion rims I took off my brother's 07 Fusion were definitely heavier than my Eagle Alloy Torque Thrust clones off my Ranger - which are also lighter than the Hyundai Alloys for my daughter's Elantra. The steel rims from the ranger are SIGNIFICANTLY lighter than the steel rims from the Fusion.

So the answer is yes or no, depending on both the steel wheel and the alloy wheel.

Reply to
clare

Couldn't it just be that the 'winter' tires are sufficiently heavier to make the combination tire + steel wheel weigh more than the combinaton summer tire + alloy wheel? You can't really tell without weighing each component individually but when I replaced a couple of dinged OEM alloys a couple of years ago they seemed pretty light to me.

Reply to
John McGaw

You got it backwards, the winter + steel combo was *lighter* than the summer + alloy. That's why I'm asking this question, I would normally assume that the alloys should be lighter, being made from mostly aluminium.

I would've also assumed that the winter tires are heavier (perhaps more ruggedly built?) than the summer tires, by themselves. So the combination of winter tires & steel rims had me thinking that there's no way that the winter combo was going to be lighter.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

These are the style of OEM alloy rims that I have on my Tribeca (this car pictured on here would be an identical twin to my own Tribeca, including the colour):

The steel rims pictured here, would be somewhat similar to my own winter rims (18-in though):

It looks like the steel rims are basically just pressed sheet metal. They have a similar thickness all around.

Whereas the alloy wheels are thicker at the "spokes", and even the rims seem fairly thick. I suppose they need the extra thickness to match the strength of the steel. So it seems that the weight savings of the aluminium is undone by having to make these things much thicker.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

Look at

and you will see the weights of wheels used on Mazda Miatas. Their 14 inch steel wheel weighs 18 lbs. The 7 spoke alloy is 12.3 lbs. The BBS spoke style alloy is 9-10lbs. The later 7 spoke alloys range from 10.8 to 11.5 depending on the spoke design (hollow, semi hollow or solid. The 16" snowflake style SE alloy is the porker of their alloys at 18lb.

Reply to
clare

A few things...

I've experienced the same phenomenon with steel wheels holding air better w ith two different sets of steel wheels and many alloy ones. I theorize that it's either how clean the bead was when the tires were mounted as the mate rial, or the smoothness of the rim. Steel wheels have a nice glossy painted surface to seal against whereas aluminum rims have a bare metal machined s urface that probably isn't quite as imperfection free on a microscopic leve l.

As for tire weights, I'd say it is not safe to assume that the tires are th e same weight. The heaviest tires I've ever owned were summer high performa nce tires. They were like bricks. The stiff sidewalls I suspect had much to do with it. I don't know if snow tires are purposely built with softer sid ewalls, or even if they're above or below average, but I wouldn't be surpri sed if thins sidewalls were the case to help the tire comply to irregular s urfaces to maximize the amount the footprint. Just a theory on that though.

Have a good one, Bill

Reply to
weelliott

That does make sense, the alloy rims are bare metal, whereas the steel ones are painted metal. Perhaps better seals between rim and bead!

Now that you mention it, the summer tires are V-rated Nexen Roadian HP's, whereas the winter tires are H-rated Toyo Observe's. The V-rated would be harder sidewalls?

Maybe you've answered both my questions in go!

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

Knowing the size and model of the tires should make it relatively easy to determine the weight on the maker's website. Weighing a sample of each type mounted on their respective wheels would allow you to answer the 'how heavy?' question definitively. As for air loss, I've seen some alloys what had nothing but bare cast metal showing on the inside and any porosity could certainly allow a slow leak. I've never experienced it myself on several different vehicles with alloys though.

Reply to
John McGaw

I didn't think the makers put tire mass figures on their websites? Anyways, the tires are 255/55R18.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

To get an isea of the difference in weight between brands/models of a given size tire, see the following table:

17.8 to 24.3 lbs for 205/45/16, 14.5 to 20.1 for 185/60/14. In this case the BG Gooderich TA was one of the heaviest, The Hoosier Sport DOT was the lightest.
Reply to
clare

Well, sorry to drag this old thread out of the grave, but today was time for the opposite change over, where I changed over from my winter tires & rims back to my summer tires & rims. Back when the original thread was posted, I didn't do any actual measurements, just based it on "the strain on my aching back" measurements. This time I actually got a chance to do the measurements. I used a weight gauge designed to measure luggage weights and I got the following average weights:

Summer tire & rim: 29.5 kg (65 lbs) Winter tire & rim: 28 kg (62 lbs)

So it wasn't my imagination, the summer tires seem to actually be heavier, even though they come with alloy rims and the winter tires are using old-fashioned steel.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

snip...

Of course that doesn't really answer the question of how relatively heavy the types of rims are since the tires themselves are not identical. It could simply be that the summer tires weigh more. No getting around it, the only way to know for sure (if it actually mattered) is to weigh the rims. BTW, I find it unintuitive that either type weighs that much -- I would have guessed closer to 20kg than to 30 based on how they feel to move around.

Reply to
John McGaw

These are huge Tribeca wheels, 255/55/18's. So I don't think they are typical. It's also why my back is so sensitive to their weights.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

Reply to