can I buy a CV-joint without axle?

Two questions:

Can I buy a CV-joint without axle? This would be for 2002 Impreza 2.5 TS. Dealer wants about $230 per set (whole half axle).

Is the rebuilding the CV-joint worth the effort (someone wants $60 per one CV-joint)?

Reply to
alf

Edward Hayes

Hi,

After replacing CV joints on old VW axles, a pretty straightforward affair compared to most of 'em today, and fiddling about w/ Subie joints that got contaminated due to broken boots and quickly failed despite my efforts, I've decided for myself to get the kits and regrease and reboot AS LONG AS the old boot hasn't already split, or just swap out the axles (w/ Subie OEM replacements) otherwise. Yeah, it costs a couple more bucks, but the aggravation factor is "priceless" as they say on TV.

Naturally YMMV...

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

You can get a new, complete axle at Speedy Car Parts for much less money; $67.85 each (no core charge) for my '02 Legacy. You could probably keep the old ones and have them rebuilt the next time if you're going to keep the car a while. Rebuilt axles aren't generally available yet because not many will have failed.

Reply to
Alan Ronemus