Can you program a Subaru to lock automatically when it's in drive?

My father-in-law is in town for the weekend and he's mentioned that he wishes his wife's 2005 Subara Legacy Outback would automatically lock the doors when it's placed in drive. I would imagine that this might be something that you could program, but I can't find anything in the owner's manual to this effect. Can anyone tell me definitively? I don't

know much about Subarus, but I would like to be able to do this for them before they leave. Thanks.

Hi,

I asked a 30 year Subaru Mech/Tech the same question and he said NO. Does not have it in the Chips or a way to put it there. Lots of other cars have it, but not Subaru...yet...

Bill

This kind of a feature is available on just about any decent aftermarket alarm system. I have one in my Forester that locks the doors after the engine is started.

- Snuffy -

jessedylan wrote:

Ask the dealership if thetre is a connector that enables an auto-lock feature when the door is closed. I believe my wife's '03 OBW has it.(though we haven't purused it.)

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

OTOH some folks think the auto door locks are an unpleasant indication of the Nanny State in which we live and would not buy a car that has them unless they can be programmed out/off.

nfh

FH wrote:

I understand, and having the option is, I suppose, a luxury. I once heard that Volvo or someone introduced a system whereby the doors locked after a certain speed was reached. I personally would like the option of having the doors auto matically UNLOCK at speeds over - say - 50mph or so. If they lock again below that speed (with proper hysteresis/delay) that would be OK. It's unlikely you are are gonna get 'jacked' at freeway speeds and, it is less likely the 'jaws of life' would be needed in the event of a crash - saving potential life-sparing minutes getting you outta the car. may only mean a few lives a year - but, I'd like the option.

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 22:44:22 GMT, Carl 1 Lucky Texan

That's the way the locks on our 2002 Passat work. I think they lock at about 5 MPH, but have never tried to figure out the speed. It is definitely not when the car is started. That would be a real pain.

-- Vic Roberts Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.

Victor Roberts wrote:

<snip>

My 90 GT Wagon was the same. The sudden thunk right beside them used to scare the tripe out of any unsuspecting passengers :)