Can you program a Subaru to lock automatically when it's in drive?

Threaded View

My father-in-law is in town for the weekend and he's mentioned that he
wishes his wife's 2005 Subara Legacy Outback would automatically lock
the doors when it's placed in drive. I would imagine that this might be
something that you could program, but I can't find anything in the
owner's manual to this effect. Can anyone tell me definitively? I don't
know much about Subarus, but I would like to be able to do this for
them before they leave. Thanks.

Re: Can you program a Subaru to lock automatically when it's in drive?

Hi,

  I asked a 30 year Subaru Mech/Tech the same question and he said NO. Does
not have it in the Chips or a way to put it there. Lots of other cars have
it, but not Subaru...yet...

Bill

Re: Can you program a Subaru to lock automatically when it's in drive?

This kind of a feature is available on just about any decent aftermarket
alarm system. I have one in my Forester that locks the doors after the
engine is started.

- Snuffy -

Re: Can you program a Subaru to lock automatically when it's in drive?

  Ask the dealership if thetre is a connector that enables an auto-lock
feature when the door is closed. I believe my wife's '03 OBW has
it.(though we haven't purused it.)

Carl

--
to reply, change  ( .not)  to  ( .net)

Re: Can you program a Subaru to lock automatically when it's in drive?

OTOH some folks think the auto door locks are an unpleasant indication
of the Nanny State in which we live and would not buy a car that has
them unless they can be programmed out/off.

nfh

Re: Can you program a Subaru to lock automatically when it's in drive?

I understand, and having the option is, I suppose, a luxury.
I once heard that Volvo or someone introduced a system whereby the doors
locked after a certain speed was reached. I personally would like the
option of having the doors auto matically UNLOCK at speeds over - say -
50mph or so. If they lock again below that speed (with proper
hysteresis/delay) that would be OK. It's unlikely you are are gonna get
'jacked' at freeway speeds and, it is less likely the 'jaws of life'
would be needed in the event of a crash - saving potential life-sparing
minutes getting you outta the car. may only mean a few lives a year -
but, I'd like the option.

Carl

--
to reply, change  ( .not)  to  ( .net)

Re: Can you program a Subaru to lock automatically when it's in drive?

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 22:44:22 GMT, Carl 1 Lucky Texan

That's the way the locks on our 2002 Passat work.  I think
they lock at about 5 MPH, but have never tried to figure out
the speed. It is definitely not when the car is started.
That would be a real pain.

--
Vic Roberts
Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.

Re: Can you program a Subaru to lock automatically when it's in drive?

<snip>

My 90 GT Wagon was the same. The sudden thunk right beside them used to
scare the tripe out of any unsuspecting passengers  :)

Site Timeline