Car chosing by mechanics

Hello

I was thinking about a new car: either a Subaru BRZ or a Toyota GT86

a) Which one would you choose by itselft?

b) It happens that in my town the Subaru Oficial Service is shared with other brands that I think are of crappy cars: Kia, Hunday, SangYong, Fiat, Alfa Romeo, Jeep. So I do not trust so much the subaru service. Would this could change your opinion?

Thanks

Reply to
gamo

I would chose a Toyota anything over a Subaru, because Subaru refuses to share anything beyond OBD2 Global info with the aftermarket scan tool companies. Toyota is very helpful. If I worked at a Subaru dealer, I likely wouldn't know that, but I work at an independent small shop.

Also, everything breaks eventually, and Toyota parts are always in-stock at my local NAPA, and everything Subaru has to be ordered.

GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

They are the same car. Buy where you are most comfortable dealing and where you will get the best service. That will change depending where you are. Here in Waterloo Ontario I'd buy the Toyota, hands down. Only one Sooby dealer in 35 mile radius, compared to 4 Yota dealers.

Reply to
clare

Except the two cars he is looking at are identical cars with different badges and trim. They are Toybarus or Soobiotas.

Reply to
clare

Thank you. That's a powerful opinion.

Reply to
gamo

Kia and Hyundai are not "crappy" cars.

Reply to
PAS

El 27/05/14 15:34, PAS escribió:

Neither are today, but you have to do comparisons. Things and quality trend is to reach the lower level. Why can't you buy a good watch in any cheaper place?

Reply to
gamo

Hyundai is on equal or better with Mazda and Nissan. Kia is a half step behind Hyumdai, and still at least eqaul to those two, and still better than Mitsu in overal quality and value. Don't know SangYong. Jeep is not bad (but expensive to maintain) and Fiat Alfa are a whole lot better than they used to be.

Reply to
clare

You sure cannot compare todays Hyundai to the Pony when it first reached these shores. Just like today's Ford Taurus and the Model "T".

Don't know what you are getting at with the watch reference.

Reply to
clare

El 27/05/14 17:42, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca escribió:

Yes, like watches, there are a lot of cars brands inside every segment you want, but the qualities are different, and the brand value. In watches, the good clock makers, sold its creations far apart of cheap brands. The analogy is good enough because a watch need minus mantaining than a car, so in theory the compartamentarization could be less important.

In practice, I don't want a Fiat mechanical change the timing belt of my subaru. The problem is that there is no market to support a dedicated service, and the multifranchise is the compromise solution.

Reply to
gamo

If you don't trust Subaru service, your choice is an easy one. The service I got from the dealer on my Hyundai, which I bought used from a private owner, was pretty awesome. They changed the harmonic balancer on the engine and worked on the AC. They honored the original warranty and didn't charge me anything. I guess they feel they still have something to prove to car buyers. The V6 in the Sonata had about 240 HP which was pretty awesome too.

Reply to
dsi1

I also prefer a single brand dealership - but even a good "general garage" can service just about any make of car out there. I've worked on everything from a Moskovitch to a Rolls Royce, withall the common brands available in North America and south/Central Africa thrown in.

Reply to
clare

no more timing belts since the FB engine on Soobs - but your point may stil l be valid.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan