Car Talk and premium gas

Which is exactly why I was so surprised to hear Tom and Ray,

2 MIT grads with a lifetime of practical auto experience, say it was an unqualified waste. I expect them to catch some flack over it...

-rick-

Reply to
-rick-

Are you sure they weren't saying its a waste to run premium in a car designed to run on regular? Here is a link to something they said in Dec

1997 ->

Talk

Reply to
Ed

I didn't hear any qualifications given this time although I fully expected to.

Reply to
-rick-

Hi,

That horse died long ago. How long you gonna keep beatin' it? Whether it's your opinion or not, the damage is real. Take apart a few engines that have suffered from "pinging" and report back...

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Your opinion; which you have already shown isn't worth that much, since it leads to bad conclusions that can result in very real negative consequences.

Reply to
JD

That would make sense.

Reply to
JD

My 2 1/2 year old Forester has always pinged annoyingly on acceleration. Last Autumn, my gas station was out of regular and sold premium for the regular price. I noticed the car stopped pinging.

Since then it seems to ping less, even on regular. I know this is anecdotal, and confounded by another large variable: perhaps the cool Minnesota weather caused the change. I'll know soon.

Reply to
P T