Cat converter 2000 model take note

A couple days ago I posted here about changing my converter. Received assy and went about the install yesterday. The Converter is an Eastern Catalytic brand PN# 40237. I first saw this brand a couple weeks ago and didn't see them when I first started looking several months ago. Close to $100 less than the DEC brand that has been available for some time.

This converter is listed as a direct fit for several yrs and models but it isn't a good fit for my OBW.

Going into the car the fit didn't look too bad but the hanger wasn't a good fit. Not angled correctly and slot for hanger bolt not correct size. Had problems with bolts so found the easy way to tackle the job was to remove the head pipe. When I got the head pipes tightened back up I noted the wiring harness on the front O2 sensor was hitting the CV joint pretty bad. In addition to the above this assy come with an extra O2 port but no plug provided or one found at several local auto parts stores. What I had to do is weld the port shut.

At this point I'm still not clear if dealer, Auto Parts Warehouse, is going to accept the return. Still working on this. Have also written Eastern about the problem but no reply as yet.

Would advise anyone thinking about replacing their converter to steer clear of Eastern brand at least until they make corrections so the assy fits correctly.

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey

Hi,

My dealer parts guy jokes that aftermarket Subie parts are guaranteed to NOT fit! He's not far off...

Suggest biting the bullet and getting Subaru OEM for the lowest level of grief. (I won't even go into the adventure when my aftermarket cat hacked up a hairball or something and clogged the ENTIRE exhaust system when it self-destructed.)

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright